1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Clothes Shopping with the Wife?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mensimageconsultant, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I have found that if you let them feel like they`re helping out, then shopping with a GF or spouse can be very fun.

The trick is to know exactly what you want first...for example a navy blue solid tie...then you let them pick their choice out of several navy ties. In the end, you will end up with what you wanted, and they feel good too.

Like someone else mentioned earlier, the main problem with shopping with women is that they look at everything in the store. Although you went shopping for a navy blue solid tie, they start looking at shirts, sweaters, jeans, etc...and you get tired. Also, they don`t know everything about men`s clothes, so narrowing the choices in the beginning for them saves you from having to explain why you are disagreeing with them.

2. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Shopping with a female friend led me to some very bad choices looking back on it. I think the fact that she hates my guts now and doesn't talk to me for some reason says something about our "friendship".

I'll still occasionally look to female opinions, but just on little things like, "Does this make my neck look long?" etc. I've started finding my own personal tastes as a result of being here at SF, for which I am grateful.

3. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

I always shop alone. No exceptions. I've never received good advice from a shopping companion, male or female.

Or maybe I'm just a misanthrope.

4. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Of the hundreds of clients that have shopped with me for custom clothes, I don't remember one that ordered anything with his wife or girlfriend. If they were present they did not get involved.
    My wife has superb taste and I enjoy her perspective about color and pattern.
    Some clients would defer to her taste when trying to decide on suit cloth or shirtings or would at least want her consent.

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

i would rather shop alone or with a male friend who also shares my interest in clothes and shoes.

6. epa

epa Senior member

Most of my male friends have zero interest in clothes (I guess that is why I was so happy to find this forum!), and I do not have any high opinion about their taste. There may be one or two exceptions.
    My wife has far better taste than I have. Also, I was brought up in an atmoshpere were no attention was paid to clothes, at least not to "elegant" men's clothing (I bougth my first sportcoat+trouser combination for a job interview when I was 28 -I got the job-, and my first suit even later). Thus, I have started to learn about these issues only in recent years, and I often ask my wife for advice. However, she is very impatient, and as my confidence in my own taste is increasing, I more and more prefer to shop on my own, and to ask for her opinion only when I have doubts concerning specific issues.

7. xarope

xarope Well-Known Member

My wife has terrible taste in mens clothing, probably attributed to the ridiculous ads from Boss, Armani Exchange, Calvin Klein etc (I'm having goosebumps already) that flood popular media.

However, I do take her shopping for when I want to buy expensive things e.g. a new MTM, watch, suitcase etc, she acts as counterpoint for my sometimes overenthusiastic glee when talking shop with the shop assistant.

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

okay, to be fair to my wife, not only does she nag about my spending habits, but she encourages me to spend, within reason, on things i like. her mindset on this is life is too short for you to deny yourself pleasures. heck, she even let me borrow her amex card on my last shoe purchase! [​IMG]

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

My wife and I have similar (and good) tastes. I am better at shopping for her than she for me, but she is definitely good about reaffirming my intuition about certain pieces/combos and keeping reality in check.

10. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

my fiance has fantastic taste so we always shop together, whether for her stuff or mine. she understands where I'm coming from, sartorially, so she's a good sanity check for those rare occasions when I am enamored by a pair of orange loafers.

I'm in the same boat as Get Smart. My fiancee has great taste--and most implortantly will listen to me when I'm trying to explain why I do not want something. She also trusts my taste with her clothing and accessories. The situation is the same with my best friend (also a woman) and one or two other female friends.

That said, I recently went shopping with two other female friends who just did not get that I didn't want that three button notch-lapel "tuxedo". Much less did I need to even try it on in a 42 when I wear a 46. It was very very frustrating but I did manage to not tell them to shut the hell up.

bob

11. Chris "Italia"

Chris "Italia" Senior member

I shop with my buddies; they all think I am a bit overdone on the expensive clothing......

Then again, they ask me what is good and what isn't.

12. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member