• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes replacement and wear

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of posts on how we generally maintain, refurbish and retain our expensive shoes. Some members are still wearing shoes they purchased 30-40 years ago and want to see pictures of "patinated" shoes.
But with regard to tailored clothes, how long do you generally keep a suit, trousers, coat or jacket? When and why do you look at your expensive suit and then take it, kicking and screaming, to Goodwill? I'm not talking about a disaster (the nail in the door jamb or the leaky fountain pen) or weight fluctuations. Myself, I'm unduly sensitive to any signs of wear, particularly any shine on trouser pockets and seat, so my suits and pants regrettably last only about 5 years. Sometimes I feel I'm on a treadmill replacing like with like. I keep sport jackets and coats for much longer, say 15 years. What's your experience?

Tom

Reaction score
I am only in my thirties, and typically have replaced clothes that I quit wearing, not because they wore out, but because my tastes changed. I still like my shirts when the cuffs are a bit frayed. I throw clothes away when they tear from being too thin.

-Tom

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 years is still a pretty good amount of time for the suit, I would think. I'm guessing you get a good 150 to 200 wears out of it.

Perhaps investing in a steamer would prolong the life of your suits? Alternatively, a good option may be inquiring about having a second set of pants made for you. If you go MTM, that might be the way to go (and it might be something I'll do with Chan).

For shirts, sweaters, and pants, I give those about a 2 year shelf life, unless it is something I love, in which case I will keep it indefinitely (my favorite sweater is a J. Crew lambs' wool v-neck that I've had for 6 years now -- a little bit of pilling now, but I bet I've worn in 200 times).

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps investing in a steamer would prolong the life of your suits?  Alternatively, a good option may be inquiring about having a second set of pants made for you.  If you go MTM, that might be the way to go (and it might be something I'll do with Chan).
Thanks, Johnny. That could be good advice.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
I prefer my clothes to show some wear. My favourite shirts are the one showing some fraying at the collars and cuffs. Shoes don't start looking really good until they have creasing and patination. In terms of tailored clothes, I have a vintage 3-piece 16 oz navy chalkstripe flannel suit where the "flanneliness" is wearing down around the cuffs of the jacket. It's about 40 years old and I think it looks great. But then, I am trying to cultivate the look  of a gentleman-hobo.

All other things being equal, the heavier fabric will last longer and drape better than the lighter one.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds elegant, Sir Garnet. I too am the proponent of heavy wool flannel for suits - it's distinguished. Who in any case can take issue with the look favored by a field marshal?
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads