• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes Iron Suggestions Needed!

Temple90

Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding a good iron that will work without spitting water or having other defects. I recently had the Rowenta DW5080 and at first it worked great, but after 3 months it barely works. Every other iron on the market I am seeing has very mixed reviews. Looking for suggestions on what irons everyone uses and has had success with.

Thanks!
https://www.amazon.com/Rowenta-1700...1523847672&sr=1-1&keywords=rowenta+steam+iron

zr3rs

Reaction score
Lelit PS121. Real steam works wonders on shirts.

Only disadvantage is startup time of several minutes to get the boiler running.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have hard water?

I fail to see why and iron works for only 3 months?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding a good iron that will work without spitting water or having other defects. I recently had the Rowenta DW5080 and at first it worked great, but after 3 months it barely works. Every other iron on the market I am seeing has very mixed reviews. Looking for suggestions on what irons everyone uses and has had success with.

Thanks!

Do you have hard water?

I fail to see why and iron works for only 3 months?
I picked up a black & Decker unit that’s given several years of service, but I only use distilled water as we have quite hard water that would kill it in three months. I would venture to say that might be more important than the iron model.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use a Black & Decker D2030 that's nearing 10 years old. It seems to work okay - I'm not convinced it gets as hot as possible but manages alright. It seems to perform better when I use an actual spray bottle instead of the built in water nozzle.

singlechange

Reaction score
After owning four Rowenta irons in 15 years and when my last iron stopped working, I purchased a Oliso Pro Smart Iron TG1600 with 1800 watts for $120.00 with free shipping on eBay from a sewing machine store that was closing.
Oliso is a U.S.A. company that developed and tested prototypes with tailors, dry cleaners, sewers.
I like the Oliso better than the Rowenta because it is slightly longer in length, heavier, and ergonomically fits and feels more comfortable.
I like ironing my dress shirts, knit shirts and t-shirts and have always ironed my work clothes.

Thomson

Reaction score
Miele Fashionmaster is fab but more than just an iron and maybe pricier than what you have in mind.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Miele Fashionmaster is fab but more than just an iron and maybe pricier than what you have in mind.

I have something similar to that and find it to be overkill. Most of the time, I'm using a basic ~$100 Rowenta or Black and Decker.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
I went a bit overboard maybe and picked this up recently. Pretty awesome.

Dupray SteamIron Steam Generator Iron
61bJZhJttkL._SL1000_.jpg

Thomson

Reaction score
Oh, it most definitely is overkill. Ironing trousers is a bit easier than on a normal ironing board, because the inbuilt fan fixates the cloth. For some strange reason it does give me joy though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads