• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clothes in the movie 'great gatsby'

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we sure Manton isn't Wolfe?

Here's Manton's, I mean Wolfe's interpretation:

"I'll never forgive the 1974 movie version of The Great Gatsby, which was the Fitzgerald novel as reinterpreted by the garment industry. Throughout the picture Robert Redford wore white suits. They fitted so badly that every time he turned a corner there was an eighty-microsecond lag before they joined him. Nevertheless, Gatsby, followed as it was nearly four years later by Saturday Night Fever, ruined one of the main joys of my life: wearing white suits. Pretty soon you saw white suits everywhere. They came crawling out of every shopping mall disco boutique in America on the backs of the Gold Chains in the Chest Hair set."

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm sure. By the way, I think Wolfe was too hard on those suits. They didn't fit that badly.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Wasn't the wardrobe in "The Great Gatsby" designed by Ralph Lauren? I seem to remember reading how this was his big break with the public. Kind of the same way that Armani did the clothes for The Untouchables.

Bradford

Kaga

Reaction score
Wasn't the wardrobe in "The Great Gatsby" designed by Ralph Lauren? I seem to remember reading how this was his big break with the public. Kind of the same way that Armani did the clothes for The Untouchables.

Bradford
If my memory serves me correctly, "American Gigolo" came before and helped put Armani on the map.

4Mica

Reaction score
If the biography "Genuine Authentic" is to be believed, his claim that he designed the clothes is greatly exaggerated.

Edited for spelling

tgfny

Reaction score
If the biography "Genuinely Authentic" is to be believed, his claim that he designed the clothes is greatly exaggerated.
Very entertaining read.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Wasn't the wardrobe in "The Great Gatsby" designed by Ralph Lauren?
Yes. Although in the infamous "shirt scene", the shirts are in boxes clearly marked "Turnbull & Asser." I'm not sure if T&A actually made the shirts, or if the boxes were just props.

Kaga

Reaction score
(Bradford @ April 18 2005,13:39) Wasn't the wardrobe in "The Great Gatsby" designed by Ralph Lauren?
Yes. Â Although in the infamous "shirt scene", the shirts are in boxes clearly marked "Turnbull & Asser." Â I'm not sure if T&A actually made the shirts, or if the boxes were just props.
IMMSMC, in the Turnbull & Asser vanity book, T&A takes responsibility for providing the shirts in the shirt room, although it doesn't state unequivocally all the shirts were T&A. In the book, Gatsby simply allows that his shirts are made in England but doesn't say whom. It's the ideal of the Jermyn Street maker that Fitzgerald is touching on; T&A seized an excellent marketing opportunity by getting itself into that film.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Bradford @ April 18 2005,13:39) Wasn't the wardrobe in "The Great Gatsby" designed by Ralph Lauren?
Yes. Although in the infamous "shirt scene", the shirts are in boxes clearly marked "Turnbull & Asser." I'm not sure if T&A actually made the shirts, or if the boxes were just props.
Well, it does predate Purple Label, but RL did eventually use T&A to make his RLPL shirts, so...technically the scene makes sense to an audience who watches it 30 years later but does not know the history of RL too well. Jon.

stache

Reaction score
Wasn't the wardrobe in "The Great Gatsby" designed by Ralph Lauren?
The costumes were designed by Theoni Aldridge. She won an Oscar for that movie. She used a lot of RL merchandise as it fit the mood.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
RL's kind of a shmata (sic) Gatsby: Enormously wealthy and powerful, beautifully presented, and extremely dodgy once you probe...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RL's kind of a shmata (sic) Gatsby: Enormously wealthy and powerful, beautifully presented, and extremely dodgy once you probe...
My, that's just brilliant. I've never thought of it that way: It perfectly describes RL in one single sentence. Hand RJMan the Pulitzer now, that sentence is the best one ever written.

Jon.

tgfny

Reaction score
RL's kind of a shmata (sic) Gatsby:  Enormously wealthy and powerful, beautifully presented, and extremely dodgy once you probe...
Grat observation. I am now Rick James' btch.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not to divert too much, but care to elaborate? How is RL dodgy? (admitting my ignorance here).
Others can elaborate in greater detail, but RL has been less than honest about his past more than once. This includes his professional past and his family history. Others care to chime in?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads