clothes in the movie 'great gatsby'

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by esquire., Apr 16, 2005.

1. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

Are we sure Manton isn't Wolfe?

Here's Manton's, I mean Wolfe's interpretation:

"I'll never forgive the 1974 movie version of The Great Gatsby, which was the Fitzgerald novel as reinterpreted by the garment industry. Throughout the picture Robert Redford wore white suits. They fitted so badly that every time he turned a corner there was an eighty-microsecond lag before they joined him. Nevertheless, Gatsby, followed as it was nearly four years later by Saturday Night Fever, ruined one of the main joys of my life: wearing white suits. Pretty soon you saw white suits everywhere. They came crawling out of every shopping mall disco boutique in America on the backs of the Gold Chains in the Chest Hair set."

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm sure. By the way, I think Wolfe was too hard on those suits. They didn't fit that badly.

3. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Wasn't the wardrobe in "The Great Gatsby" designed by Ralph Lauren? I seem to remember reading how this was his big break with the public. Kind of the same way that Armani did the clothes for The Untouchables.

Bradford

4. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

If my memory serves me correctly, "American Gigolo" came before and helped put Armani on the map.

5. 4Mica

4Mica Senior member

If the biography "Genuine Authentic" is to be believed, his claim that he designed the clothes is greatly exaggerated.

Edited for spelling

6. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

Very entertaining read.

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Yes. Although in the infamous "shirt scene", the shirts are in boxes clearly marked "Turnbull & Asser." I'm not sure if T&A actually made the shirts, or if the boxes were just props.

8. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

(Bradford @ April 18 2005,13:39) Wasn't the wardrobe in "The Great Gatsby" designed by Ralph Lauren?
    Yes. Â Although in the infamous "shirt scene", the shirts are in boxes clearly marked "Turnbull & Asser." Â I'm not sure if T&A actually made the shirts, or if the boxes were just props.
    IMMSMC, in the Turnbull & Asser vanity book, T&A takes responsibility for providing the shirts in the shirt room, although it doesn't state unequivocally all the shirts were T&A. In the book, Gatsby simply allows that his shirts are made in England but doesn't say whom. It's the ideal of the Jermyn Street maker that Fitzgerald is touching on; T&A seized an excellent marketing opportunity by getting itself into that film.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(Bradford @ April 18 2005,13:39) Wasn't the wardrobe in "The Great Gatsby" designed by Ralph Lauren?
    Yes. Although in the infamous "shirt scene", the shirts are in boxes clearly marked "Turnbull & Asser." I'm not sure if T&A actually made the shirts, or if the boxes were just props.
    Well, it does predate Purple Label, but RL did eventually use T&A to make his RLPL shirts, so...technically the scene makes sense to an audience who watches it 30 years later but does not know the history of RL too well. Jon.

10. stache

stache Senior member

The costumes were designed by Theoni Aldridge. She won an Oscar for that movie. She used a lot of RL merchandise as it fit the mood.

11. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

RL's kind of a shmata (sic) Gatsby: Enormously wealthy and powerful, beautifully presented, and extremely dodgy once you probe...

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

My, that's just brilliant. I've never thought of it that way: It perfectly describes RL in one single sentence. Hand RJMan the Pulitzer now, that sentence is the best one ever written.

Jon.

13. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Not to divert too much, but care to elaborate? How is RL dodgy? (admitting my ignorance here).

14. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

Grat observation. I am now Rick James' btch.

15. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Others can elaborate in greater detail, but RL has been less than honest about his past more than once. This includes his professional past and his family history. Others care to chime in?