• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes for a Minimalist Lifestyle

bangkokchris

Reaction score
I teach in Bangkok, Thailand at an International School.

Dress code for men: dress pants(slacks), shirt, shoes, tie.

I would like to reduce the amount of clothing I have as it causes confusion every night preparing what to wear for the next day. i.e What goes with what.

I know the basics- shoes matches belt, tie darker than shirt, etc.

I have black, grey, navy blue, brown, tan, creme colored pants
I have brown and black shoes and belts.

I have about 30-40 shirts, solids and mixed, with about 12 ties of different colors and styles.

I have learned that black pants are not fashionable, through this website. Much to my surprise. I was planning to wear only black pants with white shirts and a different tie everyday. However, (again after reading through some threads, that I would look like a waiter), would I upset the world of fashion if I switched to blue pants, black shoes/socks, black belt, white shirts, with a different color tie everyday?

I need only to look professional to the very wealthy parents. Most are non-American, and therefor unaware of American fashion sense.

Let the advise, jokes, and comments commence...........

Thanks

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about SF's Anglo-American bias; different cultures have different standards of dress.

However, I think you should stay away from black pants + white shirts. Or plain white shirts without a jacket for that matter. You don't want to be mistaken for a high school or college students in Uniform.

Exchange plain white shirts with patterned white shirts, black pants with navy pants, and black shoes with dark dark brown shoes. You will look better.

p.s., not sure if it would be okay to wear brown shoes and not stand out too much at your work environment.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Given your location, I'd say brown and light gray linen or tropical weight wool for pants. If you want to simplify your shirts, toss all but maybe two that aren't predominantly white or blue. Stripes should be blue and maybe brown. Any checks should probably have some blue in them.

Edit: given that you aren't wearing a jacket with them, navy pants are probably fine.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bangkokchris welcome to Styleforum.
My thoughts are this..you have wealthy clientele, then maintain your professionalism as much as is comfortable for you. Your clients are definitely learning many things from you and taking notes. They may not come up to you and say it, but be assured that they respect you, and are impressed by you and your attention to your wardrobe. It is by your good example that they will encourage their children to do the same.
The fastest way to trim down a wardrobe is less shirts and more ties. One shirt + 10 ties = 10 combos...and so on.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time in Bangkok so can understand that jackets are out the window. If you want to take your appearance up a notch, your first priority should be fit and getting this stuff custom tailored, rather than worrying about color. Bangkok tailors are pretty awful when it comes to jackets, but I've come across a couple who can do amazing trousers (zero ripples, razor-sharp hang).

I second the recommendation of linen trousers, they look really sharp in the tropics. I sometimes make ties out of the same fabric as the trousers I'm wearing, which can give a nice uniform look. Solid, non-silk ties are also in at the moment. There are numerous ways to class-up the jacket-less look, you can go for very cutaway colors, more complex cuffs (I like 3 buttons), and contrast stitching on buttonholes, etc.

barky

Reaction score
bangkokchris welcome to Styleforum.
My thoughts are this..you have wealthy clientele, then maintain your professionalism as much as is comfortable for you. Your clients are definitely learning many things from you and taking notes. They may not come up to you and say it, but be assured that they respect you, and are impressed by you and your attention to your wardrobe. It is by your good example that they will encourage their children to do the same.
The fastest way to trim down a wardrobe is less shirts and more ties. One shirt + 10 ties = 10 combos...and so on.

Are you implying that, even though they might be wealthy, but because they are Asians, they cannot be as well or even better dressed or behave than Caucasians and must look up to them to teach their children? Really? You don't get out much, do you?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you implying that, even though they might be wealthy, but because they are Asians, they cannot be as well or even better dressed or behave than Caucasians and must look up to them to teach their children?  Really? You don't get out much, do you?

I implied no such thing and your inference and assertions are too ridiculous to respond to further.

Last edited:

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1, no indication the OP is caucasian; even if he was, no indication that his students are asian- int'l schools in bangkok often have mostly non-asian, european/middle-eastern students of expat parents.

bangkokchris

Reaction score
+1, no indication the OP is caucasian; even if he was, no indication that his students are asian- int'l schools in bangkok often have mostly non-asian, european/middle-eastern students of expat parents.
My school has students from 45 countries.
Three different groups.

1. Wealthy Thais, many distant relatives of royalty (ever watched Anna and the King) he had 68 children !!!
2. Embassy families $$$
3. Corporate families $$$

I'm a middle-age white guy from Boston.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]My thousand apologies.[/COLOR]

Thank you Barky, you can have 999 of those apologies back. One was enough :) I do appreciate it though.

In fairness to you, I re-read my earlier post and it occured to me that it actually could have been inferred as you did. I see now, the ambiguity, which had not occured to me while originally typing it. Interesting though, if one thinks 'Thailand', my post is fine. If one thinks 'Siam', my same post could easily be be inferred as you did originally. Just one of those quirks about the English language I guess. I shall recognize this as an opportunity to improve my diction for my future posts. Again, thank you and sorry for the late response.

Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirts:
Several blue and white OCBDs

Pants:
x1 Mid grey tropical weight trousers
x1 Stone chinos
x1 indigo jeans (optional)

Shoes:
x1 black cap oxford
x1 dark brown brogue
x1 chukka boots or penny loafers (optional)

Ties:
x1 black knit
x1 navy knit

Jacket (if needed)
x1 navy blazer

Suits (if needed)
x1 grey worsted
x1 navy worsted

Alternate the shoes and pants so that they have an opportunity to breathe and so you're not wearing the same thing everyday.

During winter, you could throw in small accessories like a v-neck knit, scarf or wool tie for interest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads