• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cloth recommendations/identification

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can any of you experts recommend cloth makers/books which might have something similar to these below? Something soft and spongy. Thanks. 1 For a jacket: Blueish/brownish flannel-y plaid
44480xk0.jpg
courtesy chorse 2 For a suit: Brown multi-fleck melange (?)
img1922fr0.jpg
courtesy jhcam
barberaie2.jpg
courtesy aharris

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This is not useful to you at all, but I picked up a piece of English-made 3x3 at Tip Top a couple of years ago that looks just like the one in the middle. Actually, it is a little darker, and the brown is more saturated, less grayish. But very, very similar.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is this fabric technically called? Is it a hopsack weave? I'm not really sure where to look. I'd really like to order a suit in something like it. I like the grayish brown, but I'm sure a richer brown color would be great, too.

Did you have anything made with your cloth?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The weave is too small to be a hopsack, and too closed to be fresco. It's sort of a combination of the two. If it has a name, I don't know it.

Nope, mine is sitting in the attic, feeling forlorn.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
1 For a jacket: Blueish/brownish flannel-y plaid
44480xk0.jpg
courtesy chorse

This happens to be a picture of me, so no problem. I believe the cloth is (or was) called"Coarsehair". It's from Loro Piana and is 90% cashmere, 10% goats hair. It is very nice. Not too heavy, wears warm, and is (good) scratchy. I ended up selling that jacket because it just didn't fit me the way I wanted it to, but it is nice.
DSC09855.jpg
DSC09856.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Chorse. I'll try to track down a Coarsehair book. Looks lovely. I really like the subtle two-color pattern on this. Maybe there are some other coloways, too. Was that cloth specially made for Hickey Freeman?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Thanks Chorse. I'll try to track down a Coarsehair book. Looks lovely. I really like the subtle two-color pattern on this. Maybe there are some other coloways, too. Was that cloth specially made for Hickey Freeman?

I have no idea. They don't advertise the fabric any more on their site, but a tailor's site still has their text:

Cashmere CoarsehairÂ
00ae.png

Cashmere CoarsehairÂ
00ae.png
is the Loro Piana reinterpretation of the classic Shetland wool in cashmere.

Cashmere CoarsehairÂ
00ae.png
is pure cashmere yarn with a small amount of the ordinary fibres that are usually excluded from the cashmere manufacture - the so called "coarsehair"; this is the most superficial and coarse layer of the Hyrcus goat fleece from which cashmere is obtained. The result of this combination is a fabric with a casual look, typical of Shetland wool, but that maintains the light-weight softness of cashmere.

The true distinctive element of Cashmere CoarsehairÂ
00ae.png
is the extremely rich colour mix of warm and refined shades, once again inspired by the classic Shetland fabrics. Cashmere CoarsehairÂ
00ae.png
is available in the Loro Piana stores that offer the made to measure services and at the best tailor shops in a wide range of colours, declined in fabrics for blazers, suits and overcoats, in both a plain and fancy version.
http://www.peterpanos.com/LP_Fabric.html

They used to have a card up on their website, but it's down now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics