Closet Makerover

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VooDooATL, Oct 8, 2006.

1. VooDooATL

VooDooATL Active Member

So the wife and I want to makeover the master bedroom closet. I need to get the size but its on the small side. The builder decided to put more space into the bath (very larger) so its really only wide enough for two sides. One on each side of the door and about 5.5 ft. long. One side has two bars the whole length, so nothing long on that side. The other side has one high bar and the end opposite hase a narrow shelf set.

So who has gone and done this themselves? What would you do, keep in mind the wife needs space as well.

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I wish I could help but my wife and I are just in the design phase.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

We did ours with B&B Italia. It has worked out well.

4. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

I have done several houses with the simple white tinker toy stuff available at the Home Depot like stores.

It looks fine once they clothes are in and you definitely can get more in the closet. I will be doing this house soon.

One trick is not to use the expanding wallboard material with the screws they provide. It will take forever and your arm will fall off before you are finished a good sized closet. I simply substituted short fat nails. That will separate the plastic thingy that needs to hold on to the wall board just fine.

Very inexpensive and works well. Pull the wood off your closet, spackle, and repaint and than install the new. An ez weekend job you can do with a hammer, said nails, and a hacksaw to cut the racks to size.

Perry

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I have done several houses with the simple white tinker toy stuff available at the Home Depot like stores.

It looks fine once they clothes are in and you definitely can get more in the closet. I will be doing this house soon.

One trick is not to use the expanding wallboard material with the screws they provide. It will take forever and your arm will fall off before you are finished a good sized closet. I simply substituted short fat nails. That will separate the plastic thingy that needs to hold on to the wall board just fine.

Very inexpensive and works well. Pull the wood off your closet, spackle, and repaint and than install the new. An ez weekend job you can do with a hammer, said nails, and a hacksaw to cut the racks to size.

Perry

This is good advice for another reason... You really do not want real wood or wood veneer in your closet. There is always a risk of splinters that will snag your clothing. If you feel the need to go wood, make sure it is paintgrade and painted so that the edges are sealed. Melamine is actually much better for your clothing.

6. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

The Container Store will do a free closet design for you.

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

The Elfa shelves that come in walnut and platinum look very nice. Container Store has a biannual sale for 30% off. I think the next is December.

8. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

I went the Container Store route with the elfa shelves. Very pleased with the result. I bought and assembled a few of their drawers, and I now fold my shirts and keep them in the drawers. This opened up room for my suits and sportscoats. I also installed some narrow shelves for my small collection of shoes (I'm working on it) [​IMG]

Elfa is also great because it is very adaptable. It is built off of these bars that you place up top. Everything else basically clips onto the bars. It is a very sturdy product. I'll try to post some pictures tonight when I get back.

9. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

If you can actually get good measurements --- i highly recommend http://easyclosets.com/. i have done two closets with them and was very happy with the results even though i was off in my measurements.

10. VooDooATL

VooDooATL Active Member

Thank you I will check it out, I still need to come up with a layout that works well