• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Closet-Do you share yours with your spouse or S.O?

cuffthis

Reaction score
I'll start.

I don't. My wife has elected to have her own closet. Two reasons. 1 - I have a lot more clothes than she does. 2 - When we first got married, we did share. I, mistakenly, made a comment along the lines of "honey, some of your hangers are facing the wrong way.". End of story, start of argument.

Now we each have our own closet.

linux_pro

Reaction score
We share ours, but that is going to change. The lady keeps smashing my suits together to make room for all the dresses she keeps buying. I could never hope to own more clothes than my girlfriend. You said you get 2-3 pairs of cufflinks a week... well, my GF buys about 4 or 5 dresses a week, a couple pairs of pants, a jacket or two (she can't seem to ever find a jacket she likes, which is why she is designing and making them now), and at least 1 or 2 pairs of shoes. I've never counted, but she has to have over 100 pairs of shoes. I should take a pic for you guys... it's ungodly, I've never seen anything like it.

So, my closet space has gone from half a closet to about 2-3 ft. (horizontal). And with all the shoes, there's not much room down below either.

I'm trying to find my digital camera so you can see this. It's truly frightening.

johnw86

Reaction score
We moved to a slightly smaller house last summer so we are now sharing one closet (before we shared the master bedroom closet and I kept my suits and sportscoats in an adjacent bedroom). The space is divided pretty equally and neither of us oversteps the bounds. It seems to work for us.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
We do share a bedroom closet. Then I keep suits and sport coats in my home office closet (converted bedroom).

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I share the same large, long closet (one side each). While my side seems to be a sea of gray wool, her side contains dozens of jeans (she does not work, never has, and hates to dress up). My wife has no interest in my clothes, knows nothing about them and we never discuss it. She did mention recently that my side seemed to be growing ("Hope you don't buy any more, because you can't clutter up my side").

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I, most fortunately, do not share. We each have separate closets, both walk-in but hers is twice the size of mine. However, we also have an armoire in the bedroom that is entirely used by me; plus, I have taken over the closet in a spare bedroom we have..... I highly recommend getting an armoire for those short on closet space.

fkl118

Reaction score
My wife and I share the bedroom closet. It used to be split 50-50 but as time went by, her clothes started creeping over the line and now I have about 25% closet space left.
sad.gif
So some of my clothes have had to be demoted to the guestroom closet.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have shared our lives for more than 20 years. We share 3.5 children (don't ask.). We share the grocery shopping, the diaper changing, the soccer-momming, the gardening, the name of our business and the poopie-scooping. We share a bed, thousands of irreplacable memories, and title to our home. We even share the washing machine - where our Zimmerli's do whatever they do in there - together. But share a closet? Share a closet? With my clothes in it? Together with hers? You must be out of your mind, man. As God is my witness, I would sooner share this:
DoubleToilet.jpg

cuffthis

Reaction score
But share a closet? Share a closet? With my clothes in it? Together with hers? You must be out of your mind, man.

I take pride in the law and order of my closet. Hangers equally spaced, clothes color coordinated, seasonally grouped, alphabetical by tailor.

My wife? She opens her closet with a shoulder to one side, as a preventative measure in case something falls out. And I won't even mention that she puts things away BEFORE ironing them. Ahem......................

I understand and agree with you, Alex Sir.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife has a large wall closet that is all hers. We share a large walk-in that is probably 60% my stuff, 40% hers. There is a downstairs closet that is devoted to my coats and casual jackets. There is another downstairs closet in which we have some suitcases, etc., but has mostly been annexed by my ever-growing shoe wardrobe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads