• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clinical Psychologists

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Are there any clinical psychologists on this board? I'm trying to decide which route I want to go in graduate psychology, and would like some input from those who've gone into the clinical side.

MrRogers

Reaction score
Hey Kwite, I'm a 2nd year doctoral student in clinical psych working towards my Psy.D. I have 1 MS degree in Clinical and counseling health psych and soon will have another in Clinical Psych. The program i'm in now requires a clinical MS upon admission and then grants another after 2 years into the program (dont ask me why).

They say to go for a PsyD instead of a PhD if your looking to do clinical work but our curriculum is the exact same as clinical PhD programs in the area (Philly). Its a standard 5 yr program, 2 practica, 1 internship, dissertation needed to graduate. 2 yrs in, we are required to take a 3 part comprehensive exam that we must pass to continue on ( I think the MS degree at this point is a consolation prize for the 30% that can not pass comps after 3 attempts).

The attrition rate of a doctoral psych program is extremely high, north of 50%. I started 2 yrs ago with a class of 31 which is now a class of 16, historically we'll graduate 8-12. Being young, unmarried and having less responsibility outside of the program seem to be the best predictors of successful completion. Working full time is possible for some, but most, like myself, work part-time.

Gradewise, anything lower than a B- is considered failing and the course must be taken over again. Classes are offered once a year so a failed course means sitting on your hands for a year as APA dictates that classes must be taken in a logical progression; A c+ in assessment I means you cant go on to assesment II or III so you have to take a year off and wait for it to come around again. You are allowed to "fail" 2 classes before your booted out of the program.

Anyway, i'm a lil busy right now but if you leave some more specific questions ill be happy to answer them

MrR

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Cool! Are you planning on having a private practice with your degree, then? The distinction that I've picked up on, having talked to/worked with a lot of clinical Ph.D students, is that Ph.D trains scientist/practitioners and Psy.D trains scholar/practitioners. Does that mesh with your conception of the difference? What made you choose Psy.D over Ph.D?

What were your undergrad credentials like? I kind of fucked around for the middle years of my undergrad education, so my GPA isn't as competitive as it should be, but I have a lot of research experience in three labs, plus a one-year postgrad research assistantship set up for next year. Still, I'm worried about the application process. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is the last board I would expect to find this subject but interesting because I have a friend applying to many PhD and masters programs for the same exact discipline.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My mother is a clinical psychologist.

Don't have kids! j/k

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
My fiancee is getting her PhD in Clinical Psych. FWIW, her experience is that if you're not interested in research, and you want to actually practice (as she does), it's worth seriously looking at a PsyD program. She hates research, and did the PhD simply because it opens a few more doors and she's getting paid to do it (as opposed to actually paying to go to a PsyD program).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads