Clifton or Strand Allen Edmund Oxford

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by charlie1234, Jul 22, 2013.

1. charlie1234

charlie1234 Active Member

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

2. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Neither are truly traditional for a suit.
    I'd say the Strand is more appropriate with a suit as it's a balmoral, but the brogue bring it down a few notches in terms of formality.

That aside, although I love Walnut, it's a somewhat casual color and really stands out; you wouldn't want to wear walnut to say an interview. I'd recommend also taking a look at true browns assuming you are looking for a more formal look.

So I guess the question is, when you say "wear with a suit" what are you really asking? Interview, wedding, work, etc?

The Nordstrom sale is great, but you can always get Allen Edmond seconds for around the same price. So, pending additional info, my recommendation is open your search to include other styles, consider burgundy/merlot or brown to walnut, and get back to us

3. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

4. charlie1234

I have very plain black captoe oxfords from a place in England, I don't remember the maker.. It's one of the ones that makes shoes for Brooks Brothers. I also have John Lobb amber monk straps. I'm just looking for something brown to wear with my grey and blue suits... that's maybe a step up from the monk-straps. I don't have any current intention as to where to wear them. I'm currently really liking the strand, I just wasnt sure if it seemed too informal. Too styled. I have a light grey plaid three piece that I just got tailored I think might look good with them. I have never bought leather shoes not made in England though, and I don't think Allen Edmunds are, what's the quality like?

5. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

In that case, then the Strands certainly are a solid choice. Allen Edmonds are US shoes, and their quality is most often compared to the Loake 1880 collection.

I doubt you'll be disappointed with them. Additionally, AE customer service is top notch, so if you are unhappy for any reason, you can always send them back (provided you don't wear them outdoors)

6. charlie1234

Thank you for the advice. I decided to shop around a bit, and found a pair of unworn Churchs for about the same price as the Allen Edmunds.

7. Subutai

Subutai Senior member