• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Client Meeting on "Jeans Day"

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a meeting on an upcoming Friday in a client's office. I have been there several times in the past, and the office's daily dress code has been "business casual." Most of the men do not wear jackets, and so I am normally a bit more dressed up in a sportcoat, button-down shirt, and nice pants (no tie).

Now, I have just been informed by the client that this meeting will be on Jeans Day. I really can't imagine wearing denim to a client's offices, and my female colleague who will be accompanying me has already confirmed that she will be dressing casually but not wearing jeans. So, what to wear in this case? The same thing I normally do, but without the jacket? I don't want to look sloppy in front of a client, but at the same time, I feel that it might not be well-received if the advice about "jeans day" were not taken into consideration.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd stick to a suit unless the client specifically says to wear jeans.

Orange

Reaction score
I would respectfully disagree with Panda. I would go khaki slacks with a dress shirt and brown shoes since it's still summer. The idea is to dress well but only to the point of fitting in. Any more and you'll stand out which will make the client feel uncomfortable.

R-H

Reaction score
Hopefully your client is intelligent enough to realize that you may have other meetings that day for which you will need to be dressed appropriately.

Leave the jeans at home.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
I'd stick to a suit unless the client specifically says to wear jeans.

+1.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orange
I would respectfully disagree with Panda. I would go khaki slacks with a dress shirt and brown shoes since it's still summer. The idea is to dress well but only to the point of fitting in. Any more and you'll stand out which will make the client feel uncomfortable.

Good point.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H
Hopefully your client is intelligent enough to realize that you may have other meetings that day for which you will need to be dressed appropriately.

Leave the jeans at home.

This is a simple and reasonable explanation that will allow you to dress as you deem appropriate without offending anyone.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an all-day meeting, and so the "other engagements" argument wouldn't work if I were to dress more formally.

To be clear, this office is always business casual, and so I have respected that in the past by not wearing suits when visiting (instead opting for a jacket and trousers). The client has now specifically said, "Please note for our meeting on Friday that it is Jeans Day." Now, I don't plan to go all the way and wear denim, but I do feel that it would be inappropriate to ignore the client's statement and get too dressed up. Where do you draw the line?

Syl

Reaction score
You aren't part of their company as such you have no obligation to dress to their casual standards. What's the issue?

Orange

Reaction score
If the client made a point to tell you its jeans day and you disregard it completely, that's just being disrespectful. Now would you really want your client to feel that way?

Stay away from the blazer and dress pants otherwise what I recommended above works too.

jsherman02

Reaction score
If the client made a point to tell you its jeans day and you disregard it completely, that's just being disrespectful. Now would you really want your client to feel that way?

Stay away from the blazer and dress pants otherwise what I recommended above works too.

Totally disagree. I work in the athletic industry and jeans are very common. However, I would stick with a jacket and pants or a nice sweater and pants. Just becuase they wear jeans doesn't mean you should.

I would also not suggest wearing a POWER suit. There is a medium between them, and wearing jeans is not it.

Beta

Reaction score

I second this opinion.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have some jeans that might pair well with a sports coat? I'd be iffy about dressing up to much but at the same time you don't want to look like a scruff.

The coat and a good shirt will still present well when sitting down across a desk but the jeans will relax everyone while shaking hands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads