• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I just received a new pair of Alden longwings, and one shoe produces a clear "clicking" sound when I walk. I can also feel this as a sense of percussion under the ball of my foot. My impression is that the shank is "twanging" as it flexes, but of course I have no way of testing this hypothesis.

My question is: will this clear up on it's own, or will it require a repair? If a repair is needed I will ask Alden to take care of it.

Thanks!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've had this before in a pair of Alden longwings no less.
It doesn't really bother me so I didn't do anything about it.
It seems to have gotten better over time but does still exist.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
I just received a new pair of Alden longwings, and one shoe produces a clear "clicking" sound when I walk. I can also feel this as a sense of percussion under the ball of my foot. My impression is that the shank is "twanging" as it flexes, but of course I have no way of testing this hypothesis. My question is: will this clear up on it's own, or will it require a repair? If a repair is needed I will ask Alden to take care of it. Thanks!
My initial suspicion is that you have a broken shank support. Many times a maker will put a piece of spring steel or, in the case of lower heels and lower quality shoes, a piece of wood in against the bottom of the insole. This piece runs from just behind the treadline to under the heel. Why a new shoe would have a broken shank is a mystery, so it may not be that at all. But a broken shank is one of the most likely candidates. Bottom line is that something is not made correctly; not fitting correctly; or not functioning correctly. In all likelihood it will never go away entirely.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe there is a bit of an air pocket in the cork filler?

Or it is the sound of the gemming slipping...
devil.gif

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Maybe there is a bit of an air pocket in the cork filler?

Or it is the sound of the gemming slipping...
devil.gif

I have alerted the local bomb squad.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Maybe there is a bit of an air pocket in the cork filler? Or it is the sound of the gemming slipping...
devil.gif

I have alerted the local bomb squad.
bounce2.gif
That'll teach me. Under the circumstances, probably the best advice is just to ignore it. Whether it goes away or not, it's undoubtedly SF certified quality.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received a new pair of Alden longwings, and one shoe produces a clear "clicking" sound when I walk.
Remove taps. Problem solved.

do-hines-riff-tap-dancing-200X200.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Just spoke to the Alden store and it sounds like it will be taken care of at no cost to me, if you discount the aggravation of waiting 9 months for a pair of shoes and immediately needing to send them back for a resole.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would they be okay with letting you wear them for a few months and then resoling? that would ease my pain

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably hard luck but return them to see what they say.

cimabue

Reaction score
I have this same problem with a pair of Alden LWBs. Mentioned it to my salesman and he insisted I let him send the shoes back to Alden for inspection. Six weeks later I got the shoes back with the suggestion I turn up the volume on my iPod. They said they could find nothing. But they did install new heels for my trouble -- three inch spikes and boy do I feel sexy!

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just spoke to the Alden store and it sounds like it will be taken care of at no cost to me, if you discount the aggravation of waiting 9 months for a pair of shoes and immediately needing to send them back for a resole.

As mentioned, most likely, it's a loose or cracked shank. Could also be that the foot-bed didn't set properly causing the shank to shift when pressure is applied. In either case the only surefire way to correct the problem would be to remove the sole, shank and, food-bed and reapply all three. Anything else would be guesswork. If it bothers you that much you don't have much of a choice but to let them correct the it. Under the circumstances, ask them if they will expedite it for you.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Absolutely send them back to Alden.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads