• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleverly Shoes

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a few searches and couldn't find anything recent on Cleverly shoes. I'm considering a bench made black shell plain cap toe balmoral from the George Cleverly line. Any opinions on this line? Any comments on the fit and sizing? Thank you!

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cleverley, Fosters, etc, all outsource their RTW models. G&G used to outsource their RTW to AS before they bring it in-house.

Foster outsource to C&J as well. Cleverley benchmade outsourced to C&J and higher end RTW to EG. AFAIK.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's good information, thank you. At least they are respectable shoe makers, that makes me feel a little bit better.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cleverley benchmade outsourced to C&J and higher end RTW to EG.  AFAIK.

Are the Anthony Cleverley range made by EG? Is the last used exclusive to Cleverley shoes?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anthony Cleverly is bespoke. That's as much as I know.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anthony Cleverly is bespoke. That's as much as I know.

not bespoke, just hand welted. but there were doubts regarding that claim.

haven't seen any construction video and/or tear down of anthony cleverley semi-bespoke line, so can't be sure.

better confirm at their trunk show.

npvpositive

Reaction score
Cleverley, Fosters, etc, all outsource their RTW models. G&G used to outsource their RTW to AS before they bring it in-house.

Foster outsource to C&J as well. Cleverley benchmade outsourced to C&J and higher end RTW to EG. AFAIK.

Interesting. I thought it was more that Tony and Dean of G&G used the AS facility/equipment for a period while they were establishing their business. In exchange they helped AS develop the new lasts/styles which have largely driven the recovery in the AS business from near collapse.

I didn't think that AS actually executed the G&G RTW production on an outsourced basis. Perhaps it is a fine distinction anyway.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not bespoke, just hand welted.  but there were doubts regarding that claim. 

haven't seen any construction video and/or tear down of anthony cleverley semi-bespoke line, so can't be sure.

better confirm at their trunk show.

There was some debate about who made those...C&J or EG.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lt doesn't really matter who made what, l think it is more important to recognise the product for it's individual qualities and not have a need to rely on a brand name as a gage. See if the Cleverley are better than the C&J for yourself. 

Having Cleverley made in a C&J factory doesn't mean that the brands will be the same quality. Too many variables to be able to say this. The seeing is in the final product with careful observation, that's why l said what l did in the above paragraph. 

Well I have seen them in person - and they don't look like C&J or EG, but certainly are well made.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent point. I'm sure Cleverly has their own specifications which the shoes must meet for materials and construction. They just pay someone else to do it.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, at least in my case, I'm not looking for AC. I can't see spending that much on a shoe I won't be wearing every week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads