Cleverley Summer Trunk Show in Boston

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jon5986, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Foster and Son is 1870 pound sterling without VAT and without shoe trees.
    Which now is around $3000.

That sounds about right. I thought Cleverley was about 100 pounds less than Foster, maybe a little more than 100 even.

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

FWIW, G&G bespoke are UKP1900 with trees, at least as of a week or two ago.

--Andre

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

FWIW, G&G bespoke are UKP1900 with trees, at least as of a week or two ago.

--Andre

Interesting- I was told 2500

4. pledge

pledge Senior member

Cleverley never charged new customers more, and so far as I know, none of the London makers have. So if they are doing that now, it is a new practice.

I may well be out of date on pricing, however.

I believe the price may be somewhere in between the two quoted figures.

5. pledge

pledge Senior member

Wow. I would not have guessed it was that reasonable. What's the quality like? C&J Handgrade/Grenson Masterpiece standards?

I believe MichaelAY329 stated that the semi-bespokes are made to only a slightly better standard than the RTW, but as an owner of both, I hope that I'm wrong. The website certainly says otherwise. Jon???

6. jon5986

jon5986 Senior member

I have the standard RTW, Semi-Bespoke and Bespoke models from Cleverley. As with everything in life, one gets what they pay for. The Cleverley RTW casuals and slip ons are great. They are good value for money. The leather is very good and the fit is nice. The Semi-Bespoke style I have is for sure a better quality leather and offers more support in the foot as it has a more beveled waist (as well as lasted shoe trees). The Anthony Cleverley range & bespoke shoes are clearly much better than the other two. The fit is better and quality of the leather is excellent. With bespoke, I have the most amazing fit as they are built on my last. Again these are more expensive, which I expect given the about of hand-work involved. I spoke to Mr. Carnera & Mr. Glasgow about the difference when I was recently in London [​IMG]. They told me that there is a difference between the RTW & Semi-Bespoke styles. They also showed me the difference in the two and I got a tour of the workroom. But there is a greater difference between the standard Semi-Bespoke style and the Anthony Cleverley range (hence they are more expensive) and alot more hand work involved. I am based in New York but I am going to try and swing by and see the Cleverley gang in Boston (if work allows)........

7. cdmoore1855

cdmoore1855 Senior member

I was told by G&G their bespoke for calf export price is now 1950 plus 200 for trees. A bit more than Cleverley and not sure if worth the extra unless you want something a little more fashion focused. I am really keen on their Stingrays but not sure I can swallow the cost for shoes that would be worn so rarely

8. cdmoore1855

cdmoore1855 Senior member

Are those Cleverleys pictured on this thread from the Anthony Cleverley range or bespoke ?

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Are those Cleverleys pictured on this thread from the Anthony Cleverley range or bespoke ?

"Semi-bespoke". A slight step below the Anthony's which were not yet available when I was there.

10. jon5986

jon5986 Senior member

I met with Mr. Murphy today at the Cleverley trunk show in Boston. A very nice man and spent time showing me their new summer styles which are not yet on the website. I ordered the Chestnut colored Oxford with a Stitched Cap.

On a side note, the weather in Boston is GREAT today.......I am only here for the weekend, does anyone suggest a good restaurant?

11. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I met with Mr. Murphy today at the Cleverley trunk show in Boston. A very nice man and spent time showing me their new summer styles which are not yet on the website. I ordered the Chestnut colored Oxford with a Stitched Cap.

On a side note, the weather in Boston is GREAT today.......I am only here for the weekend, does anyone suggest a good restaurant?

Downtown?

No. 9

If you are unfamiliar with Boston, Locke-Ober.

- B

12. stant62

stant62 Senior member

If I go, do I have to buy a pair of shoes? I just want to admire...

13. jon5986

jon5986 Senior member

There is no pressure to buy. Just send them an email and make an appointment. It's tough not to buy though once you see their product.

14. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

They always have a good and representative selection of current models. In contrast to, say, Lobb St James, which brings some lovely shoes that were probably touring the US as far back as the Roosevelt administration.

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

In contrast to, say, Lobb St James, which brings some lovely shoes that were probably touring the US as far back as the Roosevelt administration.

Teddy, not Franklin.