• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleverley shoes with laces and elastic

lisapop

Reaction score
Very clever...ley. Although wearing custm shoes made for someone else is not very clever.
Grayson

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. These were made when George G. was on Cork Street which was in about the 1974 time period. I wonder if the elastic is still any good (although I'm sure a decent cobbler could replace, as could Cleverley of course).

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These shoes seem to have proper, functioning laces in addition to the elastic. Here is a sample of Cleverley's faux-laces shoes:
DSC00123.JPG
More pictures: http://shoe-com.hp.infoseek.co.jp/count019.htm
I wonder if the elastic is still any good (although I'm sure a decent cobbler could replace, as could Cleverley of course).
The elastic in the shoes on offer looks fine to me. Old, worn-out elastic crinkles round the edges like a cabbage leaf. It can't be easily replaced, as you cannot put the shoe under a sewing machine. You might have to wait until the entire shoe gets dismantled for a resoling.

marc37

Reaction score
These shoes seem to have proper, functioning laces in addition to the elastic. Here is a sample of Cleverley's faux-laces shoes:
DSC00123.JPG
More pictures: http://shoe-com.hp.infoseek.co.jp/count019.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabert,April 10 2005,19:11
I wonder if the elastic is still any good (although I'm sure a decent cobbler could replace, as could Cleverley of course).
The elastic in the shoes on offer looks fine to me. Old, worn-out elastic crinkles round the edges like a cabbage leaf. It can't be easily replaced, as you cannot put the shoe under a sewing machine. You might have to wait until the entire shoe gets dismantled for a resoling.
A great shoe Bengal Stripe. Pity it wasn't wine or dark brown. Your right though, l have never seen an elastic shoe with lacing.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the combination of side elastic and laces singularly ugly and silly... why have both?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find the combination of side elastic and laces singularly ugly and silly... why have both?
For the same reason that some people wear suspenders and belts at the same time?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(T4phage @ April 11 2005,08:22) I find the combination of side elastic and laces singularly ugly and silly... why have both?
For the same reason that some people wear suspenders and belts at the same time?
tounge.gif
Exactly. Who knows when one of them will give out.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
tounge.gif
Exactly. Who knows when one of them will give out.
Redundancy is good. Double or triple redundancy is better. Use duct tape, too.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(T4phage @ April 11 2005,08:40)
tounge.gif
 Exactly.  Who knows when one of them will give out.
Redundancy is good. Double or triple redundancy is better. Use duct tape, too.
I think you mean Velcro.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(T4phage @ April 11 2005,08:55) I think you mean Velcro.
Why not both?
True, quad redundant shoe retaining system.
crazy.gif

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
True, quad redundant shoe retaining system.
crazy.gif
I would have mentioned staples, too, but they would damage the leather.

lisapop

Reaction score
Reminds me of men who wear braces with a belt. Rather dorkey. Just add a propeller cap, plastic pocket protector, and a calculator to convert the weight of cloth from ounces into grams and you're good to go.
Grayson

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's like keeping a dog and doing the barking yourself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads