1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cleverley shoes with laces and elastic

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Apr 10, 2005.

1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

2. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Very clever...ley. Although wearing custm shoes made for someone else is not very clever.
    Grayson

3. kabert

kabert Senior member

Interesting. These were made when George G. was on Cork Street which was in about the 1974 time period. I wonder if the elastic is still any good (although I'm sure a decent cobbler could replace, as could Cleverley of course).

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

These shoes seem to have proper, functioning laces in addition to the elastic. Here is a sample of Cleverley's faux-laces shoes: [​IMG] More pictures: http://shoe-com.hp.infoseek.co.jp/count019.htm
    The elastic in the shoes on offer looks fine to me. Old, worn-out elastic crinkles round the edges like a cabbage leaf. It can't be easily replaced, as you cannot put the shoe under a sewing machine. You might have to wait until the entire shoe gets dismantled for a resoling.

5. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Originally Posted by kabert,April 10 2005,19:11
    I wonder if the elastic is still any good (although I'm sure a decent cobbler could replace, as could Cleverley of course).
    The elastic in the shoes on offer looks fine to me. Old, worn-out elastic crinkles round the edges like a cabbage leaf. It can't be easily replaced, as you cannot put the shoe under a sewing machine. You might have to wait until the entire shoe gets dismantled for a resoling.
    A great shoe Bengal Stripe. Pity it wasn't wine or dark brown. Your right though, l have never seen an elastic shoe with lacing.

6. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

I find the combination of side elastic and laces singularly ugly and silly... why have both?

7. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

For the same reason that some people wear suspenders and belts at the same time?

8. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

(T4phage @ April 11 2005,08:22) I find the combination of side elastic and laces singularly ugly and silly... why have both?
    For the same reason that some people wear suspenders and belts at the same time?
    [​IMG] Exactly. Who knows when one of them will give out.

9. jcusey

Redundancy is good. Double or triple redundancy is better. Use duct tape, too.

10. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

(T4phage @ April 11 2005,08:40) [​IMG] Â Exactly. Â Who knows when one of them will give out.
    Redundancy is good. Double or triple redundancy is better. Use duct tape, too.
    I think you mean Velcro.

11. jcusey

Why not both?

12. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

(T4phage @ April 11 2005,08:55) I think you mean Velcro.
    Why not both?
    True, quad redundant shoe retaining system. [​IMG]

13. jcusey

I would have mentioned staples, too, but they would damage the leather.

14. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

I find the combination of side elastic and laces singularly ugly and silly... why have both?

15. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's like keeping a dog and doing the barking yourself.