• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleverley appreciation thread

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but I would expect to see a crease where the foot bends and not a wrinkle near the small toe.
can't wait for the customer to point it out to the glasgows but even more so I can't for their response or should I say lack thereof ?

Terrence O'Connor

Reaction score
Some elastic sides:
A5DCFAAE-C3B1-4FA1-ACAF-8A3C01D852EA.jpeg

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with cleverley made to measure/semi bespoke? If so, were your fit issues resolved with the last adjustments? Lastly, were there various options available in terms of leather choice and sole?

shrink1061

Reaction score
So I'm new to the cleverley game, but have been stacking up on quite a few pairs recently. All from the RTW lineup. I find them utterly superb for the money, but a few points below which are confusing, pleasing, interesting:

- Clearly made my Crockett & Jones to something around a handgrade level (possibly slightly beyond)
- They all seem to come up significantky more "snug" than their C&J counterparts. My Adams would appear to be a 337 last, but are slimmer, more snug and a better fit overall than my crockett 337's. Ditto for the Thomas Monks in what appears to be some kind of 348 / 358 last. My 348's always have too much material over the vamp, but these are much closer fitting across the top of the foot and have a slimmer waist than a 348. So unsure if they're standard crockett lasts or are being modified in some way.
-The GC Thomas, clearly uses the same last as my Richard James Hallam, again, probably a modified 358 of some kind.
-Superb leather, not that I've ever had bad leather from even standard crocketts.

But the big thing for me, is that being less well known, you can pick up RTW cleverleys via Mr Porter / The Rake etc for a fraction of their retail cost. Making them not only a better fit for me, but also a significantly cheaper route into Crockett Handgrade quality.

I'll continue to collect as many interesting cleverleys as budget allows.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pretty sure GC used CJ/AS (when they were still around)/EG across various line, various distribution channel and varying quality at different price point. So think it’s just very hard to make generic statements

shrink1061

Reaction score
Pretty sure GC used CJ/AS (when they were still around)/EG across various line, various distribution channel and varying quality at different price point. So think it’s just very hard to make generic statements
Kingsman by GC is AS,

All current lower end RTW is crockett

higher end RTW is EG

bespoke is their own work

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm new to the cleverley game, but have been stacking up on quite a few pairs recently. All from the RTW lineup. I find them utterly superb for the money, but a few points below which are confusing, pleasing, interesting:

- Clearly made my Crockett & Jones to something around a handgrade level (possibly slightly beyond)
- They all seem to come up significantky more "snug" than their C&J counterparts. My Adams would appear to be a 337 last, but are slimmer, more snug and a better fit overall than my crockett 337's. Ditto for the Thomas Monks in what appears to be some kind of 348 / 358 last. My 348's always have too much material over the vamp, but these are much closer fitting across the top of the foot and have a slimmer waist than a 348. So unsure if they're standard crockett lasts or are being modified in some way.
-The GC Thomas, clearly uses the same last as my Richard James Hallam, again, probably a modified 358 of some kind.
-Superb leather, not that I've ever had bad leather from even standard crocketts.

But the big thing for me, is that being less well known, you can pick up RTW cleverleys via Mr Porter / The Rake etc for a fraction of their retail cost. Making them not only a better fit for me, but also a significantly cheaper route into Crockett Handgrade quality.

I'll continue to collect as many interesting cleverleys as budget allows.

The C&J Cleverlys are not not handgrade. They're closer to benchgrade +. That is, they have closed-channel soles, but the leather is on par with benchgrade. C&J shoes for Brooks Brothers was similar in that respect (benchgrade, but with closed channel soles).

shrink1061

Reaction score
The C&J Cleverlys are not not handgrade. They're closer to benchgrade +. That is, they have closed-channel soles, but the leather is on par with benchgrade. C&J shoes for Brooks Brothers was similar in that respect (benchgrade, but with closed channel soles).

My experience of owning both handgrade and benchgrade shoes suggests otherwise. The GC have full leather inner socks (instead of half sock on mainline), superbly soft leather thinner and better creasing than bench, closer fitting qualities and much better sole finishing. They're nowhere near bench grade.

I have easilly 15-20 pairs of crockett bench, and another 5-10 handgrade. Theres nothing to seperate the quality of the GC from handgrade. If anything, the GC has better fit.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience of owning both handgrade and benchgrade shoes suggests otherwise. The GC have full leather inner socks (instead of half sock on mainline), superbly soft leather thinner and better creasing than bench, closer fitting qualities and much better sole finishing. They're nowhere near bench grade.

I have easilly 15-20 pairs of crockett bench, and another 5-10 handgrade. Theres nothing to seperate the quality of the GC from handgrade. If anything, the GC has better fit.

Only one way to settle this: ask C&J directly!

shrink1061

Reaction score
Only one way to settle this: ask C&J directly!
they're very tight lipped about it all. Neither company seems interested in talking about the relationship. I guess because if either of us is right, someone loses. E.g. are GC charging too much for benchgrade+ or are Crockett charging more than GC for the same level of shoe.

No one wins, so i'd be surprised if either are willing to talk about it.

The only person ive ever got to be honest about where the shoes are coming from is Sarah at Bodileys. We've had a few discussion about who is making her two main lines of shoes.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bodileys was easy to guess though, like they use to put last number there for their CJ, though now you have to ask for it, guess CJ wasn't happy about that.

edit: Paul Stuart will also happily tell you the maker and last, make things easier for me for sure

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they're very tight lipped about it all. Neither company seems interested in talking about the relationship. I guess because if either of us is right, someone loses. E.g. are GC charging too much for benchgrade+ or are Crockett charging more than GC for the same level of shoe.

No one wins, so i'd be surprised if either are willing to talk about it.

The only person ive ever got to be honest about where the shoes are coming from is Sarah at Bodileys. We've had a few discussion about who is making her two main lines of shoes.

The secrecy makes sense to a certain extent (like say, if a retailer is offering a private label C&J-made shoe that has no discernible difference from the stock model, but is sold at a higher price).

The Armoury's in-house shoes are made by Cheaney's but they don't like to talk about it even though their models are on exclusive lasts. Again, it's completely up to them whether they want to divulge that info. For me, I just enjoy talking shop - I'm not trying to steal their trade secrets in any way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads