• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleverley 200 yr. old Reindeer skin bag

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Well Cleverly has been selling shoes from this leather for some time, along with others, Dunhill has sold many items out of the leather. When the big watch/panerai popularity was at a fever pitch, straps from this leather were selling hand over fist on the watch forums. Then there are the other leather products which I do not follow, but a quick google search will yield you some sellers of. Then there is this comment from 2003 on the timesonlineuk:

just sounds like the reindeer is being pulled over people's eyes.

Yes I agree, the frequency of how often these hides are available is damn suspicious.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I seem to recall a member here posting a pair with Austrian lacing.

never heard of this.

there's some sort of lacing for hiking boots, which is colloqial called sport lacing, but it's not particular to austria. alps are going switzerland, austria and italy.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
never heard of this.

I never said it either. Odd.
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medwards
For those who do not find this leather attractive, or fear its durability, or question its authenticity, my suggestion is that you refrain from purchasing it.

I don't know. This seems like faulty reasoning.

- B

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I don't know. This seems like faulty reasoning.
- B

On these fora? You're probably right.
smile.gif

Eligius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
never heard of this.

there's some sort of lacing for hiking boots, which is colloqial called sport lacing, but it's not particular to austria. alps are going switzerland, austria and italy.

Yes- my term isn't right. What is the style of shoe where the throat/lacing is off to the side?

EDIT: Ah yes, Kaizen's shoe:

HoustonSFgettogether004.jpg

"Cleverley Austrian wholecuts"

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Yo archetypal_noob, just shut up already

What is your problem? SF is so hostile to thinking not aligned with consensus. Apparently I've offended the old reindeer worshipping masses.

Edit: I shouldn't have generalized. Some people on SF are very hostile to it. Other's maintain admirable dispassion.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have been marketing this leather in shoes since 2003. Dunhill used to carry them. The marketing materials at the time stressed what small quantities they had of the leather. Well they seem to have an on going supply. Maybe they keep sinking ships?

I thought the leather looked rather nice on captoe shoes with Dainite soles. It's look lends itself to a heavier look. But I don't find the gladstone bag with this leather attractive at all. I would much prefer classic bridal leather.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
They have been marketing this leather in shoes since 2003. Dunhill used to carry them. The marketing materials at the time stressed what small quantities they had of the leather. Well they seem to have an on going supply. Maybe they keep sinking ships?

Originally Posted by medwards
For those who do not find this leather attractive, or fear its durability, or question its authenticity, my suggestion is that you refrain from purchasing it. The choice is yours.
smile.gif

teacha.gif

Montrachet

Reaction score
My theory is that the leather is new. They just have a diver take it down to the ship, leave it there for an hour or so, and then haul it back up. It's now "leather from a sunken ship".

Eligius

Reaction score
I think we also over-estimate how much of this sells. I understand that while the supply is limited it was still a sizable amount of leather...

I doubt Cleverley's has made 100pr for example.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montrachet
My theory is that the leather is new. They just have a diver take it down to the ship, leave it there for an hour or so, and then haul it back up. It's now "leather from a sunken ship".

Ha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads