• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clever ways to make extra money on the side

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I havent seen past season 2 so I dont know the implications of this.

K

It makes me Marlow and well...I tried to avoid having you end up in the "empties."

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
if u have an outlet center near you, you can do some small research on Ebay and run a business on Purple Label, RRL items etc etc. If you're smart and collect coupons/promotions/manage store credit cards well, keep everything organized and accounted for in a spreadsheet, and save all money rather than spend it, you can make 10-15k extra a year without a ton of work.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
It makes me Marlow and well...I tried to avoid having you end up in the "empties."

I'm not afraid. I'll summon "one ball" Wilkinson and "baldie" Thomas if **** goes down.

K

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm not afraid. I'll summon "one ball" Wilkinson and "baldie" Thomas if **** goes down.

K

laugh.gif

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rebuild late model Nissan Altimas and sell them. Occassionally I'm contracted to provide armed security services to very paranoid business people who like to be driven in limousines.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I highly recommend graphic design as a great skill to build. You may or may not pursue freelance work as a side gig (and doing so can be quite lucrative if you're good at it). But an investment in solid graphic design skills will pay big dividends even in an ordinary white collar office career. If you can do your own logo work or artistic work on Powerpoints and whatnot, your presentations and other materials will stand out. I'm not suggesting you get cute with it, obviously, but a clean, professional, and powerful aesthetic is always a huge plus in a presentation.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I highly recommend graphic design as a great skill to build. You may or may not pursue freelance work as a side gig (and doing so can be quite lucrative if you're good at it). But an investment in solid graphic design skills will pay big dividends even in an ordinary white collar office career. If you can do your own logo work or artistic work on Powerpoints and whatnot, your presentations and other materials will stand out. I'm not suggesting you get cute with it, obviously, but a clean, professional, and powerful aesthetic is always a huge plus in a presentation.

I know someone who did this and started his own business. He still bartends as his regular gig, but the experience of building his own business and the contracts he's pulling are invaluable.

To the OP, if you're going to thrift stores, why not pick up some of the nicer menswear and flip it online. You won't make a whole lot, but it can be entertaining. I've done that with a few items already. If you're going to be there searching for furniture, just browse through the racks, you'd be surprised what you find. My general rule is to find something that I would wear, get it cleaned, take pics, and post it online. If no one wants to purchase the item at the price you want, you still have an addition to your wardrobe. Again, the profit will be minimal, but I think the experience gained is more important.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard

Got a primer or something on this? I would be interested in learning some design basics that can be done with typical or free tools (noexpensive photoshop / graphics suites).

K

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Got a primer or something on this? I would be interested in learning some design basics that can be done with typical or free tools (noexpensive photoshop / graphics suites).

K

I have a new retail enterprise in need of collateral. Might you be interested in a trade for meat to do this?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

K

Not sure what your local university situation looks like, but a lot of good schools offer continuing education programs and night classes that can be a good start. I'd advise against teaching yourself by book if you've never done any sort of design work. A beginner's class is really the better way to go.

Note that you need at least some artistic sensibilities and proclivities to really make this work. The best designers can draw well, for example, prior to learning computer-assisted design. Take an honest appraisal of yourself, and if you're not or never have been remotely artistic, there are no miracle pill solutions.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a new retail enterprise in need of collateral. Might you be interested in a trade for meat to do this?

Confused.

Collateral for retail?
Meat as collateral?
My meat?

Meat does not make good collateral. It gets eaten.

Vegetables make good collateral. No-one wants to eat them.

K

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Confused.

Collateral for retail?
Meat as collateral?
My meat?

K

Marketing collateral, for my new street corner retail enterprise. Business cards, logo design, stationary, etc. I have come into a nice shipment of meat, via the post, and would like to swap in kind for payment.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Confused.

Collateral for retail?
Meat as collateral?
My meat?

K

Marketing collateral, for my new street corner retail enterprise. Business cards, logo design, stationary, etc. I have come into a nice shipment of meat, via the post, and would like to swap in kind for payment.

Are you two enjoying yourselves???? Get a room already. You can debate who sucks who off first in private b/c we don't want to know.
plain.gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doh, marketing collateral does make more sense considering you quoted the graphic design post above...

But no, I won't whore my work out for your smoked sausage and forcemeat. Instead it shall be applied to my thriving bidness, I'm seeing uzis and unicorns in a graffiti / airbrush motif.

K

zillka

Reaction score
quickest way to make money, is to not have time for a second job by spending more time on your actual career, get promoted, and hire interns to do the dirty work for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics