• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cleveland recs - alterations / dry cleaners

Balthazar

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
164
Reaction score
0
So I just moved to Cleveland (west side) and am looking for recs on alterations and dry cleaners. I noticed in a previous thread someone had mentioned being happy with alterations done at Kilgore Trout but I'm wondering if the trek over there is necessary.

I know Adesso (I think that's what it's called) in Rocky River will do alterations of clothing not purchased in store but are they any good?
 

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2006
Messages
8,106
Reaction score
88
I can positively vouch 100% for Kilgour. They can recut a whole jacket, alter shoulders, collars, shorten jackets. Essentially did everything for me. buttonsholes were machine stitched, though.

don't know about any other tailors, but for big jobs you can't go wrong with Kilgour. Of course, I started with a MTM Zegna purchase before moving onto alterations.
 

jsherman02

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
999
Reaction score
1
Best Dry Cleaner- London Cleaners. (pick up and deliver)

Best tailor- Kilgore...Giovanni works some magic.
 

Balthazar

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
164
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Out of curiosity, has anyone had experience with Reehorst Cleaners or alterations at Adesso?
 

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
4,305
Reaction score
1,618
Originally Posted by Balthazar
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Out of curiosity, has anyone had experience with Reehorst Cleaners or alterations at Adesso?
Sorry, I haven't heard of either one of those places. I haven't used the tailor at Kilore either, but given the rep and the quality of the good that they carry, I think they'll do good work. ...Edited due to post below.... Welcome to Cleveland! I hope that you'll find, as I have, that it is an underrated city that can be a lot of fun as long as you're not expecting it to be NYC.
 

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
4,305
Reaction score
1,618
Normally, I just edit my own post in this thread, but I wanted to bump it for reasons that are obvious below.

Earlier in this thread I had made a recommendation for a tailor who worked out of a place in Woodmere called Chagrin Cleaner and Tailors. The guy who did all of the tailor work, Joseph, used to run a really tight ship. Lately, however, things have really started to slip and I can no longer in good conscience either take my business there or recommend others to do the same.

Recently I gave him three jackets that I wanted to have the sleeves lengthened on. I told him to take his time as I would be busy and wouldn't be able to pick up the jacket for three weeks. One of the jackets was a gray/black herringbone tweed that I had picked up off of e-bay for a song. I was really excited to begin wearing it ASAP, given the arrival of fall. I went to his shop on the agreed upon date and he tells me that he must have written down the wrong date on his work calendar and that they wouldn't be ready for a week. I was pissed, but kept my emotions to myself. I figured that it was just an honest mistake and that I'd go back in a week and get my stuff.

I come back a week later, and while the stuff is ready, it clearly wasn't done to my specifications. As I'm trying on the jackets to discover this another customer comes in to pick up their alterations order and he gives that customer the same excuse about having written down the wrong date. Only he gives the customer the same excuse he gave me, WORD FOR WORD. At this point, I knew something was awry and that the most likely scenario is that he isn't actually doing the work anymore and whoever is wasn't able to get stuff back on time.

So at this point I have to wait another week so that he can fix what he didn't get right in the first place and couldn't get done on time. I go in today to pick the stuff up and it's still not done quite the way I would have wanted it, but at this point I'm just so frustrated with having to drive out to his shop every week that I just want to take my clothes and get the hell out of there. I go to pay, and I figure I'd give the guy an opportunity to make it up to me. I tell him that I hate to be this guy, but that he has to make it right by having wasted so much of my time. I should point out that I've given this guy between 2-3 thousand worth of business over the past three years. I tell him that I'm looking for him to pay for the gallon of gas and an hour of my time that he wasted by not having my stuff ready on time. He wouldn't hear of it.

So f#$k him. He should just consider that last payment he received from me as severance as I'll never go back to his shop again. I would encourage you to do the same. Others in this thread say to take your business to Kilgore. So the next time I have to get something altered, that's exactly what I'll so.

Sorry for the rant.
 

jsherman02

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
999
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Biggskip
Normally, I just edit my own post in this thread, but I wanted to bump it for reasons that are obvious below.

Earlier in this thread I had made a recommendation for a tailor who worked out of a place in Woodmere called Chagrin Cleaner and Tailors. The guy who did all of the tailor work, Joseph, used to run a really tight ship. Lately, however, things have really started to slip and I can no longer in good conscience either take my business there or recommend others to do the same.

Recently I gave him three jackets that I wanted to have the sleeves lengthened on. I told him to take his time as I would be busy and wouldn't be able to pick up the jacket for three weeks. One of the jackets was a gray/black herringbone tweed that I had picked up off of e-bay for a song. I was really excited to begin wearing it ASAP, given the arrival of fall. I went to his shop on the agreed upon date and he tells me that he must have written down the wrong date on his work calendar and that they wouldn't be ready for a week. I was pissed, but kept my emotions to myself. I figured that it was just an honest mistake and that I'd go back in a week and get my stuff.

I come back a week later, and while the stuff is ready, it clearly wasn't done to my specifications. As I'm trying on the jackets to discover this another customer comes in to pick up their alterations order and he gives that customer the same excuse about having written down the wrong date. Only he gives the customer the same excuse he gave me, WORD FOR WORD. At this point, I knew something was awry and that the most likely scenario is that he isn't actually doing the work anymore and whoever is wasn't able to get stuff back on time.

So at this point I have to wait another week so that he can fix what he didn't get right in the first place and couldn't get done on time. I go in today to pick the stuff up and it's still not done quite the way I would have wanted it, but at this point I'm just so frustrated with having to drive out to his shop every week that I just want to take my clothes and get the hell out of there. I go to pay, and I figure I'd give the guy an opportunity to make it up to me. I tell him that I hate to be this guy, but that he has to make it right by having wasted so much of my time. I should point out that I've given this guy between 2-3 thousand worth of business over the past three years. I tell him that I'm looking for him to pay for the gallon of gas and an hour of my time that he wasted by not having my stuff ready on time. He wouldn't hear of it.

So f#$k him. He should just consider that last payment he received from me as severance as I'll never go back to his shop again. I would encourage you to do the same. Others in this thread say to take your business to Kilgore. So the next time I have to get something altered, that's exactly what I'll so.

Sorry for the rant.


FYI- Joseph also does work for Nordstrom and a few other places. I always thought his work was on the poor side. (and still expensive)
 

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2006
Messages
3,068
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by jsherman02
FYI- Joseph also does work for Nordstrom and a few other places. I always thought his work was on the poor side. (and still expensive)

does he also happen to be a plumber?
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

  • 7”

    Votes: 85 17.3%
  • 7.5”

    Votes: 158 32.2%
  • 8”

    Votes: 141 28.7%
  • 8.5”

    Votes: 57 11.6%
  • 9”

    Votes: 25 5.1%
  • 9.5”

    Votes: 11 2.2%
  • 10”

    Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 10.5”

    Votes: 9 1.8%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
433,766
Messages
9,317,121
Members
195,495
Latest member
Doug7654a
Top