• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleveland Cavaliers' big trade

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From yahoo sports:

"In an 11 player three-team blockbuster trade, the Cavaliers acquired Chicago's Ben Wallace and Joe Smith, Seattle's Wally Szczerbiak and Delonte West before the trade deadline closed on Thursday, two league sources confirmed.

The Cavaliers sent Larry Hughes, Drew Gooden, Shannon Brown and Cedric Simmons to the Bulls, and Donyell Marshall to the Sonics. Seattle also gets the expiring contracts of Chicago's Adrian Griffin and Cleveland's Ira Newble."

I think the Cavs gave up too much and still don't have enough to win it all this year. What are your thoughts?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I think Lebron, Szczerbiak, and Wallace will make a pretty good group together. I don't necessarily think it was the best trade they could have made, but all in all, it was pretty good imo.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they traded one albatross contract (Hughes) for another (Wallace). I feel Lebron's pain about wanting to win now but I wish they would've blown it up a bit more, grabbed some cap room, maybe gotten a pick. After the trade, they're still the 4th best team in the East, which makes them, like, the 11th best team in the NBA. Also, now they have two centers making over $10 million who are showing their age big time. It's not like you can play Wallace at PF, he can't score to save his life. I would not want a single of the guys they got starting for my team.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
...I would not want a single of the guys they got starting for my team.

+1.

I think the Cavs traded away a solid young player who's hit his ceiling (Gooden), plus valuable veterans (Hughes, Marshall), for one-dimensional players. Wallace can't shoot and Szczerbiak can't do anything but shoot. Delonte West is a decent 1st or 2nd guard off the bench. I think they could have gotten more for Gooden, Hughes, and Marshall had they been patient. This "win now" attitude is going to hurt in the long term, i.e. after about 2-3 years, when Wallace's hell-bent style starts wearing on his body. As Brian278 implies, can they really play Ilgauskas and Wallace together? I think not. Who will guard the opposing power forward? Rasheed Wallace and Ben Wallace on the floor together worked in Detroit because Rasheed has much better foot speed on defense than Ilgauskas.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
+1.

I think the Cavs traded away a solid young player who's hit his ceiling (Gooden), plus valuable veterans (Hughes, Marshall), for one-dimensional players. Wallace can't shoot and Szczerbiak can't do anything but shoot. Delonte West is a decent 1st or 2nd guard off the bench. I think they could have gotten more for Gooden, Hughes, and Marshall had they been patient. This "win now" attitude is going to hurt in the long term, i.e. after about 2-3 years, when Wallace's hell-bent style starts wearing on his body. As Brian278 implies, can they really play Ilgauskas and Wallace together? I think not. Who will guard the opposing power forward? Rasheed Wallace and Ben Wallace on the floor together worked in Detroit because Rasheed has much better foot speed on defense than Ilgauskas.

It already has. Here are Big Ben stat lines for the last 4 seasons

Season Team MPG FG% RPG BPG PPG
2004-05 DET 36:06 45.3 12.2 2.4 9.7
2005-06 DET 35:17 51.0 11.3 2.2 7.3
2006-07 CHI 35:00 45.3 10.7 2.0 6.4
2007-08 CHI 32:30 37.3 8.8 1.6 5.1

For Wallace, it's all downhill from here. At least Larry Hughes, Gooden, Simmons, and Brown all have some upsides; the same can't be said about any player the Cavs got in this trade, with the possible exception of Delonte West.

A good way to ensure the Cavs won't seriously pose a challenge to teams in the great Wild West in the near future.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
After the trade, they're still the 4th best team in the East, which makes them, like, the 11th best team in the NBA.

By my count, that makes them 13th best in the league. Top 9 in the West and the three in the East above them.
laugh.gif

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still lost as how I feel about this trade, I guess it could be considered a good trade.....nothing else to say.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I'm still lost as how I feel about this trade, I guess it could be considered a good trade.....nothing else to say.

After Gasol, Shaq, and Kidd, it just feels so underwhelming.
confused.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
By my count, that makes them 13th best in the league. Top 9 in the West and the three in the East above them.
laugh.gif

Yeah. I guess I just want to give Lebron more credit than that.
frown.gif

I think Lebron is the firm #2 player in the league right now, and the Cavs are still right in the middle of the NBA? Imagine where they'd be without him---fighting it out for the Beasley sweepstakes, no doubt.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Yeah. I guess I just want to give Lebron more credit than that.
frown.gif

I think Lebron is the firm #2 player in the league right now, and the Cavs are still right in the middle of the NBA? Imagine where they'd be without him---fighting it out for the Beasley sweepstakes, no doubt.

I give LeBron all the credit in the world, but not even MJ could do it THAT alone. If he can take his defense to the next level, I'll even acknowledge that he'll be better than Kobe. I think he's the clear-cut MVP, too. But I honestly think numbers 1-9 in the West could beat the Cavs in a playoff series right now.
frown.gif

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Danny Ferry will throw Mike Brown under the bus to save his own ass, but let's be honest: his ass should be gone like King Kong as well.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm a Laker fan, but LeBron is already better than Kobe and he's still getting better. Kobe still has a mental edge on him, but LeBron sheer size and explosiveness is on another level. He's a beast. If they traded teams, I doubt Cleveland could have made the finals last year with Kobe in his place.

On that note, the Lakers are the best team in basketball and I'm so freaking stoked. Gasol fits perfectly into their system, they're 9 deep with great athleticism, size and attitude. All of their role players know their role and seem to be happy. They have a great coach. Ariza and Bynum aren't even playing (they're like, 11 deep come to think of it - Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Kobe and Fish, then Turiaf, Radmonovic, Walton, Ariza, Farmar and Sasha.) And their core is set for the next 4 or 5 years.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads