1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Clear sunglasses

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Apr 5, 2003.

1. NativeTxn

NativeTxn Well-Known Member

what about those glasses that become sort of like sunglasses when hit by light or something? what type of lenses do you call those and does anyone have experience with them?

Photocromatic.

I like them for driving, especially if it is somewhat overcast and the sun is going behind clouds and then coming back out.

Also, they are typically quite good on hazy or overcast days when there is still a glare - plus, if you are outside on such days, the UV rays still come through the clouds, and it is nice to be able to protect your eyes without having to wear sunglasses that are too dark.

2. dl20

dl20 Senior member

Wearing sunglasses at night= Giant tool/ douchebag

Hard to argue otherwise.

dl

3. chronic

chronic Senior member

Photocromatic. I like them for driving, especially if it is somewhat overcast and the sun is going behind clouds and then coming back out. Also, they are typically quite good on hazy or overcast days when there is still a glare - plus, if you are outside on such days, the UV rays still come through the clouds, and it is nice to be able to protect your eyes without having to wear sunglasses that are too dark.
    +1 On the photocromatic. I just bought a pair of Oliver Peoples Benedict aviators w/ silver titanium frame and blue photocromatic lenses. The lenses are great b/c they're light enough indoors and dark enough outdoors to keep on. Plus, the titanium frames are easier to wear, unlike heavier frames. That being said, I don't wear sunglasses at night...although these would be perfect for that. [​IMG]

4. whacked

whacked Senior member

Why would someone wear sunglasses at night?

Wearing sunglasses at night= Giant tool/ douchebag

Hard to argue otherwise.

dl

Quite a few distance runners and cyclists do. To keep bugs and wind out of their eyes mostly. That's why "performance" sunglasses manufacturers (Rudy Project, Oakley, Bolle etc.) make clear lens for all sports specific models.

That being said, Sunglasses At Night is an awesome song. [​IMG]
    (NOT rickrolling ya)

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a problem with them. I dislike them, but when I put them on, I think they look pretty cool. So, I just leave them.....[​IMG]

6. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

When I first saw your thread title I thought this was about clear fames on sunglasses. I really like that retro look, clear frames and dark green lenses. It has a real post war look.

7. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

+1 On the photocromatic. I just bought a pair of Oliver Peoples Benedict aviators w/ silver titanium frame and blue photocromatic lenses. The lenses are great b/c they're light enough indoors and dark enough outdoors to keep on. Plus, the titanium frames are easier to wear, unlike heavier frames. That being said, I don't wear sunglasses at night...although these would be perfect for that. [​IMG]
    That's a fantastic pair - I especially love the combination of the metallic titanium look and the blue shading. Btw, where did you get the blue photochromatic lenses from? I wonder if blue photochromatic prescription lenses are available.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

When I first saw your thread title I thought this was about clear fames on sunglasses. I really like that retro look, clear frames and dark green lenses. It has a real post war look.

Yes, I like those types of sunglasses as well.

Sol Moscot has one for sale on their sale.

9. UTVol085

UTVol085 Well-Known Member

My Ambermatic Ray-Bans are great because they change colors. Try to find some older ones with Changeable lenses, although they're expensive and the only glass photochromatics ever made I think.

10. chronic

chronic Senior member

Btw, where did you get the blue photochromatic lenses from?

They come w/ the sunglasses. Check the website for more details:

http://www.oliverpeoples.com/coll_benedict_scs.html

As for the sunglasses, I got them at Solstice. Don't know if you can get just the lenses...

11. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

They're usually called photochromic (vs photochromatic). Sorry, that was just bugging me.

It doesn't darken as much when driving because the car glass blocks much of the UV that activates the photochromic lens but it's still nice. I had a cheap pair made from one of those online eyeglass places. It doesn't transition as rapidly as a Transitions brand photochromic pair that my wife wears.

12. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

They're usually called photochromic (vs photochromatic). Sorry, that was just bugging me.
    Actually, both are correct terms -- anything that exhibits photochromic behaviour is said to be photochromatic. The former can be both a noun and an adjective, while the latter is predominantly used as an adjective. So, a glass that exhibits photochromic behaviour would be a photochromic substance. And you can have photochromic sunglasses also, however photochromatic is rarely used as a noun (e.g. it is not common to say that something is a photochromatic substance). However, you can still say that you have photochromatic sunglasses. Usually, this helps differentiate between the terms (leaving context aside, of course). And in the context of this thread, both terms are quite appropriate.

13. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

They come w/ the sunglasses. Check the website for more details:

http://www.oliverpeoples.com/coll_benedict_scs.html

As for the sunglasses, I got them at Solstice. Don't know if you can get just the lenses...

Well, thanks.

I guess I'd have to look around and see if it would be possible to have blue photochromatic prescription lenses made. I'm not too particular about the frame, but I just love the lenses.

14. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Actually, both are correct terms -- anything that exhibits photochromic behaviour is said to be photochromatic. The former can be both a noun and an adjective, while the latter is predominantly used as an adjective.

So, a glass that exhibits photochromic behaviour would be a photochromic substance. And you can have photochromic sunglasses also, however photochromatic is rarely used as a noun (e.g. it is not common to say that something is a photochromatic substance). However, you can still say that you have photochromatic sunglasses.

Usually, this helps differentiate between the terms (leaving context aside, of course). And in the context of this thread, both terms are quite appropriate.

That was informative, thank you. I think photochromatic was used as a noun in this thread (sorry for being pedantic). Where does photochroic fit in or does it? [​IMG]