Cleaning water spots off tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drizzt3117, Mar 4, 2005.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I have a couple water spots (white precipitation) on one of my CF 7-folds, any advice for cleaning it? Send it out to dry clean? Try to steam clean it?

2. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

From all the tie related material I've read, sending a tie to a dry cleaner is usually a recipe for disaster.

Have you tried the old rubbing the small end of the tie on the spot methold? One web site also suggested you can also very gently scrape the surface with a fingernail and it might remove a water spot.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I'd talk to Chuck about it. What GG recommends is the same I've heard, other than the fingernail thing.

4. uppercase

uppercase Senior member

Yes, it would great to hear from Carlo on care and maintenance of ties.

This could be put in sticky file in SF as a reference for all of us.

Also, A. Kabbaz has written on shirt maintenance and I think that this should could also be put in a reference file for quick access.

Infact, there's so much good reference information in SF on recurring issues that it would be fantastic if someone could put it all together , all in one file. I find the search function here in SF very often doesn't get me the information I was looking for althouogh I know that it's been posted on before.....

5. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

There is a SF reference on clothes here that could be compiled into a book. I am a writer...but I'm also lazy, ha ha

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

The small end trick actually worked, now I rolled it tightly and am going to see it that gets rid of the wrinkles, if not, I'll steam it tommorow. It's one of my favorite ties so I was a bit annoyed that it got stained/wrinkled.