• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning sweat stains off blazer

spoolinq

Reaction score
I have some sweat stains on the interior lining of my blazer. Is there a safe way to remove these stains without damaging my blazer? I was considering the vinegar + oxiclean route.

Chrenetique

Reaction score
Go to the cleaner. If not effective, change the lining.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dry cleaner..? If that fails to work 1. ask for your money back 2. like above, take it to a tailors, and get a new lining!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Dry cleaner..? If that fails to work 1. ask for your money back 2. like above, take it to a tailors, and get a new lining!

And perhaps look to avoid the problem in future by using an anti perspirant.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
And perhaps look to avoid the problem in future by using an anti perspirant.

Lol, to be totally hippy-ish, antiperspirant doesn't work"”eating well does!
wink.gif

stubloom

Reaction score
Find a competent dry cleaner who will remove ALL the perspiration (including all the acids and salts from the perspiration) in the lining BEFORE they ever place it in their dry cleaning machine.

Perspiration is a water-based stain; dry cleaning solvents and fluids only emulsify oil-based stains. So that perspiration must be flushed out of the lining by a skilled stain removal technician BEFORE it's placed into the dry cleaning machine. If the perspiration is not completely flushed out on a spotting board using a spotting gun, the acids and salts will remain in the lining fabric, the cause of any underarm odor will remain, and the color of the lining in the underarm area could change over time.

Warning: You might get your blazer back and it might APPEAR that the perspiration has been removed. If the blazer was dry cleaned only and those acids and salts were not removed in the manner stated above, they're still in there.

Here's a way to test your blazer after you get it back from the cleaner.... hit the underarms with a jet of steam from a steamer or steam from the spout of a kettle. If you smell a foul odor, the salts and acids are still in there.

Hope this helps.

lenahan

Reaction score
Sweat stains are often not from the sweat but either the reaction twixt sweat and an antiperspirant, or the reaction twixt the flora on ones body and the sweat (heavily influenced by diet). Depending on the age, it may not be possible. At a minimum, clean it so that it doesn't take on an odor, and point it out to your cleaner. Over time, they learn what works and what doesn't. Worst case scenario--reline it.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lenahan
Sweat stains are often not from the sweat but either the reaction twixt sweat and an antiperspirant, or the reaction twixt the flora on ones body and the sweat (heavily influenced by diet). Depending on the age, it may not be possible. At a minimum, clean it so that it doesn't take on an odor, and point it out to your cleaner. Over time, they learn what works and what doesn't. Worst case scenario--reline it.

I have heard this before, but I honestly don't know if it's true. I do know that now that I don't use an antiperspirant my white undershirts don't get stains in the pit areas. I still use a deodorant because I don't want to stink the joint up.

ki113r-7ofu

Reaction score
Interesting, never heard that before but will definitely give no antiperspirant a shot.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't wear wifebeaters under blazer...

stubloom

Reaction score
The Wall Street Journal (May 11, 2011) just published a related article entitled "Out out pesky sweat stains", wherein they (inconclusively) discuss the causes of yellow underarm stains. They conclude the article by offering a screwball solution courtesy of the University of Illinois Extension Service. Special note to the researchers at UoI: It's time to apply for another grant. You wasted the first one. WSJ link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...le_LeadStoryNA

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads