• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning sweat/armpit stains on dress shirts

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you do when your shirts get armpit stains?

I have a process to get rid of them, but I’m curious what other people suggest.

Buying a new shirt is not always the right answer. It can be cost prohibitive and the same/a similar shirt may not be available.

I follow the advice given by the Art of Manliness/OxyClean.

Steps
1. Fill a bathroom sink with water and add a scoop or two of OxyClean. Dip the armpits of the shirts into the mixture. Use an old toothbrush or something to scrub the stained area.

2. Soak the shirts in a water OxyClean mixture: one scoop of OxyClean per gallon. I usually soak for at least six hours.

3. Rinse the shirts off with water then wash as usual. I do a cold wash and hang to dry.

I’m always astonished at how well this works. For the record, I’ve not done a control experiment to see if soaking alone is equally effective.

I was wondering if anyone else has strategies or recommendations to remove armpit stains. My process is more involved than I’d like it to be.

Lastly, it’s not my deodorant. I’ve been wearing non aluminum based deodorant for years. I still get stains. I just really sweat a lot while I’m teaching. I don’t sweat much otherwise.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
What do you do when your shirts get armpit stains?

I have a process to get rid of them, but I’m curious what other people suggest.

Buying a new shirt is not always the right answer. It can be cost prohibitive and the same/a similar shirt may not be available.

I follow the advice given by the Art of Manliness/OxyClean.

Steps
1. Fill a bathroom sink with water and add a scoop or two of OxyClean. Dip the armpits of the shirts into the mixture. Use an old toothbrush or something to scrub the stained area.

2. Soak the shirts in a water OxyClean mixture: one scoop of OxyClean per gallon. I usually soak for at least six hours.

3. Rinse the shirts off with water then wash as usual. I do a cold wash and hang to dry.

I’m always astonished at how well this works. For the record, I’ve not done a control experiment to see if soaking alone is equally effective.

I was wondering if anyone else has strategies or recommendations to remove armpit stains. My process is more involved than I’d like it to be.

Lastly, it’s not my deodorant. I’ve been wearing non aluminum based deodorant for years. I still get stains. I just really sweat a lot while I’m teaching. I don’t sweat much otherwise.
I have more of a problem with stained collars and cuffs, but I also use Oxyclean for this. It seems to restore the shirts to like-new condition - at least in terms of stains.

Pete E

Reaction score
I seem to recall mum rubbing block laundry soap direct onto the collars and cuffs of my white school shirts and then putting them through a white only wash as normal. If she wasn't happy with the results, the shirt would get a soak in a whitening product designed for white net curtains, and then washed on a very hot setting....The rub with laundry soap definitely seemed to help..

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have more of a problem with stained collars and cuffs, but I also use Oxyclean for this. It seems to restore the shirts to like-new condition - at least in terms of stains.
Agreed. That’s a bonus when I clean the armpits.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came here to say OxiClean.

I only use that method if there is too much build up on my shirts.

Usually I just throw in a couple of scoops of OxiClean in the pre-wash basin of my washer, and make sure my shirts are inside out.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What deodorant are you using? I used to have armpit yellowing but since I changed my diet and used a natural deodorant, I don't have those. The down side to using something natural, is that I have to re-apply when i get home before I hit the gym

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What deodorant are you using? I used to have armpit yellowing but since I changed my diet and used a natural deodorant, I don't have those. The down side to using something natural, is that I have to re-apply when i get home before I hit the gym
Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant.

greenhouse

Reaction score
I wear undershirts as well.
Hmm. Perhaps you could try shirts with fuller armscyes? Not sure if that would be compatible with your style, but it may not require much adjustment. Less contact with the armpit should prevent or marsupial staining far better than other methods.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Perhaps you could try shirts with fuller armscyes? Not sure if that would be compatible with your style, but it may not require much adjustment. Less contact with the armpit should prevent or marsupial staining far better than other methods.
Yeah not inline with my aesthetic. I wear B.B. Regents fit. They’re not tight in the armscyes at all, but I still sweat. I’m resigned to sweating on my shirts st this point. I just wished they dried with no stain.

I think the optimal solution for me would be a concoction I could put on the shirts before washing that would eliminate build up so I don’t have to do my more complicated procedure every year.

Pete E

Reaction score
I think the optimal solution for me would be a concoction I could put on the shirts before washing that would eliminate build up so I don’t have to do my more complicated procedure every year.

As I said earlier, simply rub the pit areas with bar laundry soap before washing...It might be advantageous to rub them with soap when you take them off so the soap is on there as they sit in the laundry basket...Pick a white laundry soap if you can get one and just dampened the pit area before rubbing...

Answrme2000

Reaction score
Those stains are actually oxidization of aluminum not only from your deodorant but also aluminum you already have in your body. RAISE armpit stain remover will remove sweat stains from your clothes as well as ring around the collar. It is a pre treatment wash that bonds to the stain turnning it into a salt so it can be washed away in your laundry. It's sold on amazon.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Switch to another deodorant that is natural and see how you like it.

When I get home I'll get the brand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads