• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning Sperry's?

enarchay

Reaction score
I've developed a few unsightly scuffs on my Sperry's. The site recommends Kiwi, but I've heard that this drys the shoes out, and I've tried it before and it seemed ineffective. What do you guys use to keep your Sperry's in shape?

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits

Yeah, but the leather is beginning to look sort of dried out, and the scuffs look out of place. I don't care about them being shiny, but the scuffs make them look... what's the word I'm looking for... beat up and unkempt.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Yeah, but the leather is beginning to look sort of dried out, and the scuffs look out of place. I don't care about them being shiny, but the scuffs make them look... what's the word I'm looking for... beat up and unkempt.

Yea, thats how they are supposed to look. Its not like they are made with some crazy high quality leather. You wear them and they get beat up, and if you want a crisp shiny pair you go get some new ones, preferably in a different color so as to change up your look a little from time to time.

Like I said, they arent dress shoes, they will get worn in after a while.

If they are scuffed and you are bothered so badly by it then toss them in your bathroom sink and scrub them down with some soap. Boom, clean shoes.

Wideknot

Reaction score
Here's how I do it:
Brush. Soap. Scrub. Rinse. Dry. Rub on mink oil. Set in sun.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually reccomend wiping a fair amount of lighter fluid on them before striking a match.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can always do the fail safe and dip them in a bucket of Saphir Renovateur.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

agrundel

Reaction score
In the sink, I just wash with an everyday dish soap, then rinse, then put em outside to dry. You can throw some leather treatment on them if you're real into em but its not completely necessary.

I cannot seem to battle the stench in my top siders. At first I thought it was my own smelly feet but it seems to be a Sperry Epidemic
blush.gif
... Any tips on this?

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear or throw them in some salt water and then let them dry - that'll darken em up.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Topsiders are not meant to be babied.

Hose 'em off outside and let 'em dry in the sun. If you really want to be anal, wash off the rubber sole edges with soap, a sponge or brillo pad, and water in the sink. I'll only go this far if they're absolutely caked in mud or something, though. Nine times out of ten, they'll get dirty again the next time I wear them in their intended environment. So keepibg them spotless seems like a fool's errand, IMO.

Hoofit

Reaction score
I just wipe them down with lexol when they are looking dry. Of course I live an arid environment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads