• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning Men's Suit

Darveesh

Reaction score
I'd like to get your opinion on how often should
one dry-clean a suit (after every one or two wears, for example)?

Excessive dry cleaning obviously damages the suit, so is it better
to have it steam-pressed after every wear and dry clean sparingly?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome to SF Darveesh. Sit back and learn and enjoy.

Use your search feature and I'm sure you will find many previous threads on how often to dry clean a suit.

Here's one: It's on pants but is applicable to dry cleaning suits too!

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...cleaning+suits

I'll be surprised if anyone on this forum advocates dry cleaning a suit after every wear!

mensitaly12

Reaction score
I would suggest dry clean a suit after every wear,it doesn't effect much where as a dirty suit can effect your image a lot.
peepwall[1].gif

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dry cleaning is a harsh process on materials, especially organic ones like wool. The most I seem to dry clean my suits is once a season if they are being regularly used. For suits I use more rarely I will dry clean more rarely. I have had suits that I only use a few times a year that I have never dry cleaned. Doesn't mean I won't, I just haven't used them enough to need it yet. Same goes with my sport coats.

Goodman

Reaction score
Only dry clean when it's actually dirty. Brush before and after every wear.

Get yourself a good Kent brush (check out Ebay) to clean and either a steamer or just place by shower to remove wrinkles. Save the dry cleaning for a serious stain.

Off My Rack

Reaction score
Only dry clean when it's actually dirty. Brush before and after every wear.

I'm with this. There are many items in my closet that have never been dry cleaned. Too many people here seem to say dry clean at the end of each season, but there's no need if it isn't dirty.

Robert Glenn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Suit jacket loose its shape if it dry clean often or steamed out every time after wearing. If to clean your suit and want to work it well many future years than the simply way is to hang it on your closet after wearing and clean using the brush, it will take time but it is yet the safest option!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads