• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning dress shirts: Clarification on what it means to wash after every use.

madman

Reaction score
Reading through the SF, it is clear that dress shirts should be washed after each wear. I like the Kabbaz method and will use that going forward. However, I am unclear on whether the shirt must be washed right away or if it can sit in a hamper for 1-2 weeks.

What shall I do with my dress shirt when I get home from work:

1) Put it in the hamper as is and wait 1-2 weeks to wash

2) Do something to treat the collar/cuffs/underarms the same evening of the day i wear the shirt, but wait 1-2 weeks to wash it

3) Wash it that same day

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Treat soon, wash later. More than a week later is getting risky for clothes in general.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wash whenever you are ready, it will not come to harm if dry.

madman

Reaction score
Wash whenever you are ready, it will not come to harm if dry.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Previously I wasn't clear on whether the shirts could sit dry in a hamper after wearing for a day.

Last edited:

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I experienced that shirts start the yellowing process if not washed quickly.
I had lots of shirts still perfect with any fraying ruined by yellowing...

Wash them as soon as possible.

madman

Reaction score
I experienced that shirts start the yellowing process if not washed quickly.
I had lots of shirts still perfect with any fraying ruined by yellowing...

Wash them as soon as possible.

Can I take off my shirt each day of the week (M-F) and place in my hamper, and then wash on Sat/Sun? Or is that too long to wait?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lighter colors are riskier, because stains that set generally will be more visible.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can I take off my shirt each day of the week (M-F) and place in my hamper, and then wash on Sat/Sun? Or is that too long to wait?

Not in the slightest - there is too much nonsense here. As long as we are merely talking of 'ordinary' wear and not when you have poured red wine or tomato ketchup over it, it will not come to harm.

Last edited:

madman

Reaction score
Not in the slightest - there is too much nonsense here. As long as we are merely talking of 'ordinary' wear and not when you have poured red wine or tomato ketchup over it, it will not come to harm.

Thanks for the clarification. Really helps me out!

mixProtocol

Reaction score
I give my shirts a quick check when I take them off. If I see any ring-around-the-collar (or cuff), I pretreat it with a little shampoo/water. Then, regardless, I throw it in the hamper - where they often sit for over a week. I had to google the Kabbaz method -- interesting that it recommends keeping the shirt damp between pretreat and wash (though he expects you to then wash it the next day).

madman

Reaction score
I give my shirts a quick check when I take them off. If I see any ring-around-the-collar (or cuff), I pretreat it with a little shampoo/water. Then, regardless, I throw it in the hamper - where they often sit for over a week. I had to google the Kabbaz method -- interesting that it recommends keeping the shirt damp between pretreat and wash (though he expects you to then wash it the next day).

After you pre-treat with shampoo/water, do you let the shirt dry before sticking in the hamper or do you put it in the hamper wet?

If it's the latter, I'm surprised that it's ok to leave damp clothes in the hamper for a week.

mixProtocol

Reaction score
I lightly ring it out and drape it across the top of the hamper to dry. It's dry by the next evening, at which point I just place it in the hamper with the next shirt. It's probably only one or two shirts a week that I feel the need to pretreat.

madman

Reaction score
I lightly ring it out and drape it across the top of the hamper to dry. It's dry by the next evening, at which point I just place it in the hamper with the next shirt. It's probably only one or two shirts a week that I feel the need to pretreat.

So it's alright to pre-treat, let it dry, store in hamper, then wash a week later?

mixProtocol

Reaction score
So it's alright to pre-treat, let it dry, store in hamper, then wash a week later?

It seems to be.. I haven't seen any problems; no stains, no deteriorating fabric, no mildew. I am careful though to not use too much shampoo, only use clear shampoo and only pretreat when necessary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads