• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning cotton dress shirts

RTenenbaum

Reaction score
What is the least damaging way to clean cotton (and some cotton/polyester mixture) dress shirts? (1) Wash at home in cold water and then iron? (2) Have a cleaner launder them? (3) Have a cleaner dry clean them?

I've noticed most shirts include washing instructions on the tag but say "for best results, dry clean." Does dry cleaning shorten the life of a shirt or damage it? And what's the consensus on having a dry cleaner add light starch?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RTenenbaum
What is the least damaging way to clean cotton (and some cotton/polyester mixture) dress shirts? (1) Wash at home in cold water and then iron? (2) Have a cleaner launder them? (3) Have a cleaner dry clean them? I've noticed most shirts include washing instructions on the tag but say "for best results, dry clean." Does dry cleaning shorten the life of a shirt or damage it? And what's the consensus on having a dry cleaner add light starch?
A), though warm water works too.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine a 100% cotton shirt would ever have instructions that say "for best results, dry clean."

Machine wash in cold water, hang dry. Press when slightly damp.

Ivar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
A), though warm water works too.

+ 1

Good luck getting your white shirts snow-white if you only wash them in cold water.
laugh.gif

RTenenbaum

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. So does it damage cotton when you dry clean it?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotton/polyester shorts should simply be burned. No need to buy or keep such things.

Just wash them yourself in a warm water programme of your washing machine (.40 deg C ). They are not fragile and will neither disintegrate nor shrink. Cotton is strong etc. The colours will not be damaged.

Dry cleaning is another nonsense and should simply be ignored. A waste of money. Why do they need starching? More nonsense.

I have been washing my own shirts (Ascot Chang) for the best part of 40 years and all have given exceptional service without deterioration save by age.

Simon Avram

Reaction score
I have been training to make shirts for a while now. My company is interested in feedback on consumer preferences so we can maximize the life of your shirt. I am taking note of consumer comments on these forums for the products my company is planning. Traditionally, the stiffness or softness of a shirt and its parts was mostly regulated by starch. Provided a shirt was properly fitted and used, starch would also absorb a lot of the sweat preventing stains. Many traditional shirt makers will make a shirt that still will get its best results by being starched. However, some modern shirt makers (through advancements in cotton treatments, construction methods, cotton seeds, and mill technology) have moved in the direction that starch is only going to cause undesired results. Traditional shirts had removable collars and cuffs and were much more suited to the labour intense dry cleaners of yesteryear. Men would wear the shirt body a few times but change the collars and cuffs with every wear. In my experience, traditional shirts are more expensive than modern shirts made of the latest and finest quality cotton yarn (220-300). I am not sure how long mills have been spinning yarn as high as 300 but it is fairly recent. I have never seen yarn higher than 180 or 200 being referred to in books from the 20th century. Yarn of such finest will have its beauty ruined by starch. Therefore, any shirt using such yarn must be made not to require starch. Simon Avram. p.s. please don't burn anything with polyester in it. It can be dangerous. p.s.s. a French shirt maker has taken the time to write up how to treat your shirt after washing it. While it can be written up in a better format it is by far the best blog post on the Internet. http://lavraiechemisesurmesure.blogs...e-chemise.html There is a common method that is missing. The freeze dry method. Edit: I have rewritten this post.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No starch on expensive shirts!!!

stubloom

Reaction score

Simon Avram

Reaction score
I have rewritten my post. There is a bit of confusion to what people refer to as expensive shirts. On one hand, they could be referring to traditional shirt makers who will charge hundreds of dollars for just their labour. On the other hand, they could be referring to expensive cotton yarn. Or if they have thousands of dollars per shirt (minium order 4 please) then they could be referring to both. Actually the last case will probably cost in the tens of thousands of dollars if it requires a special small run at the mill.

Simon Avram.

nihraguk

Reaction score
I've been washing my shirts by hand, per the washing instructions on the label/from the tailor. Are you saying I can just toss them in the machine and hang dry?

E TF

Reaction score
My shirts (all bespoke or MTM) only visit the dry cleaner if I spill something on one of them. Otherwise they just go in the machine at home along with everything else at 40 deg c and are then dried on the line. I iron them myself. They seem to last 3 or 4 years before starting to fray at the edges, at which point they either go back to the maker for new collars and cuffs or go into the pile for gardening or dog-walking wear. And I rather like wearing a well-loved but frayed dress shirt with shorts and canvas shoes down at the beach - I have a cracked old panama set aside for the purpose too.

And don't forget if they did't wear out you'd never have an excuse to order new ones.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bunch of unemployeds in here if you have time to wash and press that **** yourself.

Launder at the cleaners, light or med startch depending on the shirt.

Never had a problem. BUT... pick the right cleaners. If your shirt comes back stiff as a canvas sail go somewhere else. I'm amazed how many guys wear those ultra stiff shirts.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nihraguk
I've been washing my shirts by hand, per the washing instructions on the label/from the tailor. Are you saying I can just toss them in the machine and hang dry?

Sure.

D Yizz

Reaction score
The sun is a shirt's best friend to take yellow stains off. A lot better than dry cleaning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads