1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cleaning a Linen Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Baron, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Baron

Baron Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I bought a linen Borrelli suit from World's Finest about 2 years ago. It's not particularly dirty now, but there are a few small spots that I've had a hard time spot cleaning without leaving an water mark or somehow making the texture of the cleaned linen stand out from the surrounding area. I want to wear this suit to a wedding in a few weeks and I was thinking about having it cleaned.

Does anyone have any experience with having a linen suit cleaned? The shape of the lapels, chest and shoulders of this suit are absolutely perfect. Will a cleaner maintain the shape or can I expect it change a bit? The linen is relatively thick and stiff - it may even have some starch in it to maintain the shape and the suit has never gotten very wrinkled - will cleaning change that? I'm assuming that French Hand Laundry is the best place in L.A. for me to take this, but maybe they aren't so strong on men's suits - not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Will

Will Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Had a quarter lined 14 oz. linen cleaned last month. Came out looking like it did when it went in, only without the spots.

3. ishykiel

ishykiel Member

Dry cleaning is always good.

4. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

I'm not sure why it would require super special care. Linen is tuff stuff.

5. Baron

Baron Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

OK - sounds like no problem. I was worried that the lapels and chest might lose their shape but I'll clean without fear.

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

I'll clean without fear.

Still, use the best cleaners possible. And, it doesn't hurt to have a note put on the order reminding to take extra care with the lapel roll.[​IMG]