clean/jerk - bar into chin during jerk- ouch

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Kris, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Kris

Kris Senior member

I fucking thrust the bar into my chin during the jerk of a clean/jerk today.

It hurt.

It left a lump behind the point of my chin, and I had teeth grit in my mouth for a while. It happened late in a series of single lifts, so I guess my form slopped from fatigue.

I did a bunch of high pulls afterward. I wonder if that was a bad idea.

I feel fine, but I''m thinking the back of my neck will be sore tomorrow from the strain of impact... I did a bunch of trap exercises beforehand, also, so I guess I wont really know for sure what cuses the soreness.

Ass!

2. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    I fucking thrust the bar into my chin during the jerk of a clean/jerk today.
    Maybe that's why they call it a jerk.

Yeah, it does kinda sound like you were trying to pick a fight with that barbell. Take a fistful of ibuprofen and be glad you've still got all your teeth.

3. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

I've hit myself in the neck and collarbone several times on the clean, but never got thumped by the bar during the jerk. New one for me.

4. jc138

jc138 Senior member

I thought I was the only one who has done this.

5. kever

kever Senior member

I've done this and almost knocked myself out.. I was pretty light headed for a second. It's funny now, but could have hurt pretty bad if I got knocked out and the bar landed on me.

6. Sam Clemens

Sam Clemens Member

It happens. Usually not twice in a row since you'll remember it. Possibly you need to remember to fill your chest with air and rotate the elbows forward. That will make sure that you are not tilting forward when you press up.

Don't know why high pulls would be a problem. If you're pulling above your chin, you should be going for higher weight.

7. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I've never hit myself in the chin, I have done some flawlessly smooth pulls right into my junk, though. [​IMG]

8. Bring The Noise

Bring The Noise Senior member

hahahaha i remember when i first started powercleaning i would always catch it on my collarbone way too hard, and one day i hairline fractured it!

9. John152

John152 Well-Known Member

This is actually alot more common than most people would probably think. Ask any competitive lifter and they've probably hit themselves in the chin at least a dozen times with the bar.

10. Kris

Kris Senior member

No unusual soreness in my neck two days later. My chin has a lil bruise, and an upper canine is minutely chipped. I guess I dodged a bullet, since people have lost teeth or tongue from it, and been knocked out. I've been doing the lift for years, I guess I got too automatic. I'll never let it happen again though. Thanks for the reminder on the breath and the 'bows.