• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classy Shops Near Toronto?

Epsilon88

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I posted in a different thread about this, but I think it was the wrong place. I'm 23 years old and have decided to take a step up from shopping at Old Navy. I live in Hamilton, Canada, near Toronto. Could you recommend any classy stores (preferably larger, so that I could buy everything from there) with affordable clothing? The only one I can think of is Moores.

Thanks for your help!

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epsilon88
The only one I can think of is Moores.

You may be out of your depth a bit here, mate.

What's your budget?

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Club Moncao, Banana Republic.

Step Up: Holt Renfrew.

But think about shopping online and having stuff sent to you by a proxy.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarksdb
Club Monaco

This is all you really need for now.

Epsilon88

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice! I'll definitely check out Club Monaco. In response to an earlier question, I'm budgeting myself at $1500 max for a couple nice pants, shirts and maybe a jacket.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well...another vote for Club Monaco, I used to wear their stuff 20 years ago when the world was young. Banana Republic in Mapleview Mall in Burlington is another place to look into.

Now if you are going seriously upmarket you can drive (or take the train) to Oakville and shop at Garvey's, Burrow's or M for Men but that is a serious step up in budget.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wow, I am feeling so lazy right now...

okay, try to get into Toronto sometime for a full day. Walk around Eaton's Center, Queen Street West, or Yorkville.

I suggest you spend some time lurking around these forums to get an idea of some good solid basics (Jeans, sportscoats, etc) and what WE mean by fit, color, and good price. Make a very short list and then get a buddy who knows what tehy're doing.

as for specific stores... if you're a college student on a budget and have no idea plus think Moores is good, then god help you. I suggest sticking to Club Monaco (student card gets you 20% off) and Banana Republic or something along those lines for basics. I suggest you get 1 nice slim pair of jeans, a few basic shirts and maybe a sportscoat. Start with a few basics and make sure they fit and ideally are well priced. Start there, read more and you'll get the hang of things...

oh, and Welcome.

with $1500... something along the lines of $100-150 for some nice jeans, and by "nice" I mean plain dark blue (try Holt's and Showroom), then $100 for 3-5 basic v-neck t-shirts in a variety of colors (black, white, blue), then $100 for 1 pair of decent casual shoes and $150 for some "nicer" dress style shoes to make your casual stuff look nicer (try Brown's), then $100-200 on a couple of good button ups that can be worn casually (Club monaco), then $100-150 on 2-3 pairs of everyday khakies (Banana), $100 on a blazer (H&M?), $50 on 4-5 basic polos in white, black, brown, navy, etc (H&M) and $300 for a nice winter coat.
Some will probably disagree here and there but that's my basic starting point with friends when I "redo" their wardrobes. Roughly $1000-1500 for some basics, and start there for 3-6 months and learn more before spending any more money.

Epsilon88

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for that detailed advice! I definitely don't think Moores is good; that's why I'm looking for other places. Unfortunately Moores is the classiest store that Hamilton has (a very working class city). It'll be awesome to get nicer things.

Epsilon88

Reaction score
Sorry to post again, but someone mentioned shopping online. Does this mean shopping at the websites of the stores themselves? Any recommendations on websites?

My boyfriend recommends LL Bean. Too much plaid. haha

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes LL Bean Signature official site along with J Crew and Polo are some you can check. They don't ship to Canada (though J Crew does with heavy custom fees) but you can easily find many trust-able people in the US here who are willing to send the item from US to Canada for you at just a small service cost.

You can also check the Brooks Brothers official website and they also have a store in downtown Toronto.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yeah 1500 wont go far at brooks brothers man, just saying...

+1 on MC's suggestions though, you can also check the lookbook or webshop or these stores:
H&M
Club Monaco
Banana Republic
Uncle Otis

And you never mentioned what style of clothes like street, casual, dressy or a bit of all?

trader

Reaction score
sign up for banana republic email list and they always send you 30-40% off coupons. you should never have to buy anything there for more than that

+1 for club monaco. quality is better than it was when i was in my early 20s

could also check out the harry rosen outlet in heartland sauga or holt renfrew outlet in vaughan mills

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
sign up for banana republic email list and they always send you 30-40% off coupons. you should never have to buy anything there for more than that +1 for club monaco. quality is better than it was when i was in my early 20s could also check out the harry rosen outlet in heartland sauga or holt renfrew outlet in vaughan mills
Good suggestions. Burrows in Oakville sometimes has good stuff. But the Harry outlet should be bulldozed for the audacity to display the world's worst ties and shoes. Not sure Larry's ever been there.

Sherlock

Reaction score
Why are you guys ragging on Moores? Their suits were given top scores for fit, cut and durability by a magazine which claimed that their suits were subjected to tough tests for fabric shrinkage, color matching, and pilling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads