• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classy selfie stick?

Counterfactual

Reaction score
I'm planning my first visit to New York (I believe that some of you gents call it "the city"), and am planning my wardrobe. I've purchased two Indochino suits that look stellar on me. I also have a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. By wearing these with the suits, I believe that I can do touristy things without looking like a tourist. Think New York businessman going out to cocktails.

To go with this outfit, I'm interested in sourcing a classy selfie stick, perhaps something from one of the British or Neapolitan umbrella makers. I'd be open to a variety of materials (chestnut, whangee, malacca). Brass fittings preferred. Elegance is a must. Cost is no object. I want this to be an heirloom piece that I can someday pass down to a son or daughter.

Any recommendations?

Seamless

Reaction score
I thought this was a joke.. then saw indochina suits... I'd just ask others to holdb your camera. Ask a nice looking person and you shouldn't have an issue.

Counterfactual

Reaction score
I realize this is a somewhat "unusual" item. Part of my interest in commissioning a custom selfie stick is the idea of having something truly "unique." To me this is the epitome of bespoke.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surely the finest examples of each individual object should be from the country that invented them (English umbrellas, Italian espresso machines) – perhaps a finely-laquered selfie stick in the Chinese manner would be best?

Would you require brass fittings to coordinate with a gold iPhone, or would that be seen as a bit excessive? Perhaps a nod to modernity, with a rhodium-plated finish, would be best. Given that it's a low-wear kind of item, even vermeil might be sufficiently durable.

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me this is the epitome of bespoke.
Like an indochino suit, right?
I thought this was a joke.. then saw indochina suits... I'd just ask others to holdb your camera. Ask a nice looking person and you shouldn't have an issue.
In my experience, always ask the individuals who are okay looking but looks like the type that takes 30 pictures of themselves to get just the right angle before posting it on instagram. They know how to take the best picture, they have experience.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no you mount the camera on an articulated antennae above the knob of a walking stick. that way you can gopro your pimp walk.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no you mount the camera on an articulated antennae above the knob of a walking stick. that way you can gopro your pimp walk. 

Why didn't I think of this?

Sam H

Reaction score
In line with the walking stick, perhaps retrofit a sword cane to contain a concealed selfie-stick. You can draw the stick from the cane whenever the urge strikes you for a selfie. Just be careful though, I'm pretty sure sword canes could catch you a felony charge in New York State. I don't know if modding one into a camera holder would help or hurt you with that. You should probably talk to a lawyer. I can recommend some fancy law firms with oak paneling and lead crystal water glasses in the board room. They should go well with you selfie-stick cane and bespoke Indochino suits.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am thinking of retrofitting my cane flute with a selfie stick.

(seen here thinking about it)

Sam H

Reaction score
On a serious note, this actually reminds me of an idea I had for a company. We would create a stainless steel alloy selfie stick with heat treated metal, very high tensile strength rating and wrist-flick telescoping. Collapsed, the size would be small enough for one's pocket. Space-age technology grip and balanced feel would round out this selfie stick's distinguished pedigree. The company would be called Selfie-Defense Industries and the first product would be named Officer, This Is Not A Collapsible Baton It Is A Stick To Take Photographs.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
But it double as a collapsible baton, right? Those things are great/extremely painful to get hit with.

Counterfactual

Reaction score

Surely the finest examples of each individual object should be from the country that invented them (English umbrellas, Italian espresso machines) – perhaps a finely-laquered selfie stick in the Chinese manner would be best?

Would you require brass fittings to coordinate with a gold iPhone, or would that be seen as a bit excessive? Perhaps a nod to modernity, with a rhodium-plated finish, would be best. Given that it's a low-wear kind of item, even vermeil might be sufficiently durable.

Thank you for these suggestions on the fittings. Do you have any thoughts on what the most sleek and long-lasting material would be for my shaft?

I'm glad to see that the post has generated so much enthusiasm. Perhaps some of you gents would be interested in placing a group order?

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've found latex is sleek enough for my shaft.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads