• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classy Dessert to bring to New Years dinner - NYC

DBowers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MHH89
I would head down to Crumbs and grab a few dozen cupcakes. You could give our European guests a taste of Americana. I know Crumbs isn't exactly the classiest dessert cuisine but the cupcakes are very good and something the guests would never expect.

Purchase a couple of bottles of Vueve Clicquot and you will be fine in the champagne department.

Good luck.

+1 on Crumb's.

I think Demel was just OK.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
My wife is making her Sacher Torte for our NYE party. Bloody amazing.

You know I've had the original twice (and stayed at the hotel) and I've found that other people do it better. I do think if done right that it's absolutely delicious. I'm jealous.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
The whole cupcake as a serious pastry thing is annoying as ****.

OMG MAGNOLIA IS THE BEST EVERRRRRR

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dentata
Snickerdoodles!!!

He said classy! Gotta go with Mallomars... or homemade S'mores.
laugh.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally a really good, rich cheesecake with the appropriate amount of salt (I hate sweet cheesecakes) is one of the most delicious things in the world.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm easy to please. A really good chocolate mousse cake is just about the best thing in the world short of really good dark chocolate truffles with a really rich ganache. Actually one of the best things baout valentines day is the day after when all the high-end chocolates go on sale. I always load up on champagne truffles.

DBowers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Personally a really good, rich cheesecake with the appropriate amount of salt (I hate sweet cheesecakes) is one of the most delicious things in the world.

SField, have you had better cheesecake than Junior's, and where?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBowers
SField, have you had better cheesecake than Junior's, and where?

Eileen's is much better IMO

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I get really excited whenever I see a tray of Crumbs cupcakes at a party. Then I always end up feeling ill from the sugar overload and disappointed from the inevitable stale taste most of their cupcakes have.

For ideas, a pint of the best ice cream/gelato you can find is never a bad idea.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
well.... i do believe there is a difference between a twinkie and a tart

Twinkie - young, hairless gay teen/early 20's. Very effete and good looking.
Tart - young, hairless girl, teen/early 20's. Very sweet looking and "innocent".

Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Why not make somthing yourself. Pecan Pie and and some whipped cream woudl be great!

Much better wow factor if you made it yourself (and it is not all that hard)

Yep, I have perfected a rich carmel custard/flan recipe that I make and everyone loves it and they probably appreciate it more than something store bought. Most store bought stuff looks beautiful but is generally tasteless.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
The whole cupcake as a serious pastry thing is annoying as ****.

+100. if another person offers me a red velvet cupcake, I will kick then in the uterus.

Originally Posted by gdl203
Eileen's is much better IMO

+100, when I am not in the mood to make my own, I make the trip down there.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Balthazar.

Italian pastries are nothing to write home about so don't feel self conscious. Also, if they are such sophisticated italians they'd probably be serving something more elaborate instead of just two pasta dishes, so this tells me that in fact it really isn't this super serious event that you're making it out to be.

I'm sure that they'll be thrilled with whatever you bring. They are your friends so they respect you and I'm sure that they trust you enough to pick something that you yourself like. Trust your own intuition, and something that's just elaborate will never best something that is simple and totally delicious.

+1

And Milanese like to pretend they are more sophisticated than they are.

K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads