• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classy Black Tie

Karl Sand

Reaction score
What is the classiest looking black tie ensemble. Wing tip collar, waist coat? tie or bowtie? what are people's opinions.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This:

0012h.jpg

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Single breasted DJ, peak lapel. Stiff front shirt (wing is nice). Low cut vest, perhaps with studs, in either black or white pique. Keep the jacket unbuttoned to show off your awesome vest.

bradpitt-amightyheartpremiere-may21_2007_001.jpg

scorsese.jpg

070226_scorsese_hmed_9ah2.jpg

beau nash

Reaction score
I am never sure what people mean when they say "classy," so I apologize if I am not answering your exact question.

I think people look best in formal wear when they look most comfortable and natural in it. That means that what you usually read hear about fit and fabric applies to suits and odd jackets as well. I think too that a person in a standard dinner suit--black, single breasted, peak lapel, one button, cummerbund, turn down collar--looks best. I understand that people like variations, and I do have a DB dinner suit that I wear sometimes and would love another vintage midnight blue one. I just wouldn't wear a wing collar and a DB jacket and a different shade of fabric and a long tie all at once. Anything more than one slight variation on the standard looks contrived to me.

The long tie, even in black satin to match the lapel, never looks right to me.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Karl Sand
What is the classiest looking black tie ensemble. Wing tip collar, waist coat? tie or bowtie? what are people's opinions.
Wing tip collar? C'est quoi?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wing tip collar - http://www.peterraney.com/Tux Wing Tip Collar.jpg

Classy black tie is a classic dinner jacket (plain black one button or db, shawl or peak lapels unvented ideally, never single vented) with the proper trousers (silk stripe or brocade thing down the side, no belt) a white dress shirt with studs or a button cover, a self tie black silk bow tie and the best shiny black shoes you can lay your hands on. A black silk cummerbund is good, an old school low cut waistcoat is better, although can be hard to get if you are not spending a lot.

There are other things you can do, but this is the basics.

videocrew

Reaction score
I'd avoid a waistcoat unless you can find a classically styled low cut one. The common rental-style 6 button ones you find nowadays are a joke. Good cummerbunds are easy to come by. I'd say single-breasted peak lapel is the best all-purpose jacket. Bow tie in a fabric to match the lapels of the jacket is my preference.

This provides a solid platform for experimentation too. Being a young guy, most of my black tie events are more of a "black tie optional" nature, so some interesting touches are acceptable. I have a RL blackwatch cummerbund, this bowtie from J. Press, some slightly more interesting studs, etc. Of course I don't wear it all at once, but one "eccentric" item at a time works well.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
this was one beautiful look.

+1

Get close to this and you will be doing fine

Karl Sand

Reaction score
"The peaked lapel jacket, formal waistcoat and wing-collar shirt combination is the apex of black-tie formality."
Waistcoat.jpg
from that website

awxg

Reaction score
Wouldn't tails be 1000x more badass than any of this?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Karl Sand
"The peaked lapel jacket, formal waistcoat and wing-collar shirt combination is the apex of black-tie formality."
Waistcoat.jpg

from that website

This is my preference.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the shawl collar...am I the only one?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics