• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classics

Nonk

Reaction score
I recently saw "Tunes of Glory" for the first time in ages. I couldn't actually remember what happened, so in many ways it was a first viewing.

What a superb film. Although it is set many decades ago it certainly stands the test of time, and from my experience it is a reasonably accurate depiction of a British Regiment, even today.

Possibly career best performances from Guinness and Mills, excellent supporting cast and a simple but compelling story.

Anyone else appreciate this one or can offer any other forgotten classic for the members to check out?

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tunes of Glory is a remarkable, grandly acted character study. Haven't seen it, for many years . . . remember it as an excellent, trenchant film.

The classics, are my favorites. I could list dozens of them. Staying with a military theme, have you seen THE FOUR FEATHERS?? Another, captivating movie, superbly acted and staged. Deals with a reluctant British soldier who must help his comrades, during a Sudan uprising. Grand, A.E.W. Mason adventure. Many, many more . . . The Caine Mutiny, is another fabulous film.

Nonk

Reaction score
Another old favourite of mine is "The Hill"

Oh how I miss the Army!

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Zulu.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THE HILL, I don't know. But ZULU, is one of my ALL TIME, FAVORITES!!!!

Should we decide to expand, from the military, the list is going to become fairly endless . . . but for now, what about FROM HERE TO ETERNITY?? FANTASTIC. Great acting. Sexually provocative. A terse, disturbing conclusion. Magnificent movie. Orignally cast, for Joan Crawford and Robert Mitchum. Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr, were slotted after the former pair, couldn't get clearance. I'd have loved Lana Turner, in the part of Karen.

FromHerEternity.jpg

TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH, is also excellent! The Longest Day, is another engrossing war film. TWO WOMEN, with Sophia Loren, is superb.

chrysalid

Reaction score
caught a bit of ICE COLD IN ALEX again yesterday, very good.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, for Labor Day, you've just got to watch PEYTON PLACE: 'by liked you mean bein' pawed over in the dark, by some young animal, with one thing on his mind!'

Or . . . PICNIC. Both are real potboilers, centering around Labor Day festivities. The best.

peytonscreen_18sm.jpg

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
THE HILL, I don't know. But ZULU, is one of my ALL TIME, FAVORITES!!!!

Should we decide to expand, from the military, the list is going to become fairly endless . . . but for now, what about FROM HERE TO ETERNITY?? FANTASTIC. Great acting. Sexually provocative. A terse, disturbing conclusion. Magnificent movie. Orignally cast, for Joan Crawford and Robert Mitchum. Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr, were slotted after the former pair, couldn't get clearance. I'd have loved Lana Turner, in the part of Karen.

FromHerEternity.jpg

TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH, is also excellent! The Longest Day, is another engrossing war film. TWO WOMEN, with Sophia Loren, is superb.

ZULU tells it , in a war no one wins.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zulu is a great film. It has a sense of irony and pace, and inevitability. Extremely well done. Another classic that I just love, is HIGH NOON. Fantastic western drama, with Gary Cooper, Grace Kelly, and Katy Jurado. Superb film making. Memorable score.

untitled-8.jpg

Nonk

Reaction score
Ice cold in Alex, another classic.

Sir John really was very good.

Seek out "The Hill" if you have not seen it.

I did not intend for this to be a military only thread, but "A Bridge too Far" must be on a permanent loop in Aldershot and now Colchester.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Becket. First watched 20 years ago, never forgotten. Still looking for DVD release. Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton watch their friendship unravel after Burton is made Archbishop of Canterbury and takes the post seriously.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thomas . . . Becket is one of my favorites. What acting! What sets, and costumes! Another one you may enjoy, is The Lion in Winter. Trenchant, historical drama.

lion_in_winter.jpg

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nonk
Ice cold in Alex, another classic.

Sir John really was very good.

Seek out "The Hill" if you have not seen it.

I did not intend for this to be a military only thread, but "A Bridge too Far" must be on a permanent loop in Aldershot and now Colchester.

I seem to recall seeing "The Hill" (w/ Sean Connery, set somewhere in Asia?Africa? on a British army base - the 'hill' is the gigantic earth mound a sadistic officer is constantly ordering his men to run up and down?) as a young boy. Even as a naive youth I remember thinking it was a powerful film - reminds me now of "The Brig"....

Also loved "Bridge On the River Kwai" as a kid....

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll go in a slightly different direction, here . . . if you haven't seen BUTTERFIELD 8, with Elizabeth Taylor and Laurence Harvey . . . you may want to give this one, a look. The most erotic mainstream movie, I've ever seen. Disturbing, lurid, slightly deranged. One of my all time favorites. Liz Taylor won an Oscar, for her portrayal of nymphomaniac, Gloria Wandrous.

disque-butterfield-8-01.jpg

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nonk
I recently saw "Tunes of Glory" for the first time in ages. I couldn't actually remember what happened, so in many ways it was a first viewing.

What a superb film.

Yes. Tunes is a personal favorite and one of the few I own. Loved the scene with a drunk Alec Guinnes and Kay Walsh in her dressing room.

Always have to count Lawrence of Arabia as a great film to settle in with. A Man for all seasons too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads