• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classical Recordings

AdamG

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for Beethoven's 5th & 9 Symphonies, but don't know which recording to get.

If someone could point me in the direction of a good performance of these two pieces?

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AdamG
Hey guys,

I'm looking for Beethoven's 5th & 9 Symphonies, but don't know which recording to get.

If someone could point me in the direction of a good performance of these two pieces?

You know, Beethoven wrote a bunch of other great symphonies. Like 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8. Even 1 and 2 if you like the grand classical style.

Get a whole cycle, not just the two most "famous" ones. Karajan obvsiouly has a famous cycle, but a lot of purists don't like it. Pretty much every famous conductor with whatever famous orchestra has done a Beethoven cycle. Go on Amazon and find one with a price you like. If you end up liking symphonic music, then it might start a hobby.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HV Karajan's first Beethoven Symphony cycle recorded in the 1960's with Berlin Philarmonic is considered his best and least controversial. It is also a great value as far as boxed sets go. The Fifth and the Ninth are great (I own several Ninth recordings) but you may wish to at least listen to the Third and Sixth Symphonies also. I am not a big fan of the other 5 symphonies but you may like them so getting an inexpensive quality boxed set is a good choice. There is a used set on Amazon for USD $15.49 now.

B000001GBQ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

AdamG

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

freakseam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
HV Karajan's first Beethoven Symphony cycle recorded in the 1960's with Berlin Philarmonic is considered his best and least controversial.

B000001GBQ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

+1

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The classic recording of Beethoven's 5th symphony is Carlos Kleiber's, still available on DG. I have no recommendation for the 9th since my tastes seem to run counter to what most classical fans like. I prefer the lighter, faster HIP (historically informed performances) from people like John Eliot Gardiner for the 9th.

In general for the classical repertoire, you can't go too far astray if you get a Bernstein recording. There are some exceptions, like his ultra-slow Nimrod from Elgar's Enigma Variations, which I love for its perverseness, but he's a safe bet, especially in his earlier recordings. When he got older is when he got a bit more willful.

--Andre

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
Gardiner's 9th is my preferred recording.
his fifth is rousing and energetic listening, but his 9th i really really like.

AdamG

Reaction score
What are the best two or three pieces composed by Mozart? And which recordings of these are the best?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the best two or three pieces composed by Mozart? And which recordings of these are the best?

Karajan's 1962 recording of the Requiem...

AdamG

Reaction score

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really can't go wrong with any of Karajan's interpretations of the Requiem...

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...album_id=92077

What I like to do is compare them side by side - i.e., listen to a movement of one recording, then listen to a different recording of the same movement...

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a really open-ended question, and depends on so many things. Mozart has masterpieces in virtually every area of classical music: opera, chamber music, symphonies, concerti, etc. Is there a particular area you're more interested in?

--Andre

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AdamG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
That's a really open-ended question, and depends on so many things. Mozart has masterpieces in virtually every area of classical music: opera, chamber music, symphonies, concerti, etc. Is there a particular area you're more interested in? --Andre
Symphonies mostly. I'd probably enjoy listening to another areas too.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For symphonies, the no. 40 and 41 as suggested are good starts. Bernstein is good as is the classic Szell/Cleveland from Sony.

You may also want to try some of his piano concerti. There's one by Bernstein on Decca where he plays and conducts no. 15, coupled with the symphony No. 36. Piano concerto no. 21 is famous for its andante movement used in the film Elvira Madigan. Piano concerto no. 24 (K491) is also well worth listening.

Some of his smaller chamber pieces, like the very famous Eine kleine Nachtmusik (A little night music) AKA Serenade for strings in G, are also very appealing. I like Marriner/ASFMO on Philips for this one.

If you scroll down to near the bottom of this page, you can hear some of the more famous pieces by Mozart (and lots of other composers) plus some commentary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/discover...oarchive.shtml

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads