• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classical and Jazz Music Suggestions?

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What type of machine do you use?

A pic is posted right now on the headphones thread under Fine Living.

It's a VPI - Benz Glider combo.

(I have no idea what the camera is, if that's what you were asking)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
other than the great jazz standards, check out some hammond-soul-jazz from Jimmy Smith, Jimmy McGriff, Jack McDuff etc. really groovin' tunes, esp if you like the Hammond organ sound mixed into your jazz.

ATM

Reaction score
Louis Armstrong - Hot Fives & Sevens (go for the JSP box set)

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
other than the great jazz standards, check out some hammond-soul-jazz from Jimmy Smith,
Root Down
especially, although it is a departure from much of his other work.

As well as all the other jazz picks in this thread, check out Maiden Voyage by Herbie Hancock - very accessible, I think.

And, if you can find it, Cannonball and Coltrane, featuring, of course, Cannonball Adderley and John Coltrane - the Miles Davis sextet without Miles Davis. There's a version of "You're a Weaver of Dreams" on there that I really enjoy.

Re: Charles Mingus; I'd probably get Mingus Ah Um as a starting point. The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is a great record, so is Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus - with the added bonus that you get to ask for a copy of Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus at the record store - but Mingus Ah Um is the best introduction, I think.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How's the listening going? Older post, but I thought I'd add a few of my favorite classic jazz albums in case you wanted some more music.

Somethin' Else: Cannonball Adderly Quintet
Portrait in Jazz: Bill Evans Trio
Song for my Father: Horace Silver Quintet
Best of Django Reinhardt

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I apologize if this is a duplicate, but I strongly recommend: the Casals recordings of Bach's cello suites.
I agree with many of the jazz recommendations, but I am such a jazz dilettante that I can't really add anything to the well-informed posts preceding mine.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Andre,

All I can say is wow! That list will keep me busy for a while.

whoopee,

I'll look into that on the School of the Arts' website at my university.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, I've been so busy these past few weeks with what seems like a million exams and senior projects. Listening to some of these suggestions sure mellows me out and keeps me sane while working!

Start with Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov Piano Concertos No. 2 and 3. I don't think there's anything by Tchaikovsky that I don't absolutely love. I read somewhere that Tchaikovsky turns more people on to classical than anyone else. It's definitely what got me hooked. For Rachmaninov, there's no substitute for the Horowitz recordings.

I tried to get in to Jazz but it's not my thing. I always revert to classical or opera.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Eugene Onegin?

Jon.

Onegin for sure. Saw a fantastic performance by the MSO and the chorus along with some world famous soloists, and it really fell flat for me. But for the most part, Tchaikovsky is very loveable. The lay person can probably get very into Verdi, which is more poppish than Tchaikovksy.

GQ geek... you love the piano concerti, you really have to consider listening to his symphonies. To me, they're the symphonic equivalent of rock n roll. Incredibly lush tonality, gorgeous themes... Dvorak is a lesser composer which I think endears himself to all people. Folk melodies, incredible thematic writing but falls flat in the "in between" stuff. Something like symphony #7 (the cello intro along with the trombone choral), or the more famous "New World" is impossible not to like.

There's a huge number of things I could recommend. Just tell me what you feel like hearing... I didn't truly love the classical repertoire until a few years ago, even though I knew a lot about it for a long time. My main area of expertise is obviously in the violin repertoire, but I know other areas fairly well too.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Frankly, I like Meyerbeer…although his works aren’t performed to often (thanks Wagner!). I also like Schubert a lot, which I guess the lay person, could partially understand (although there are a lot of lieder that would turn people off immediately), luckily another composer I love, Chopin is quite easy for all to understand and like. And now for no reason at all I feel like listening to Beethoven’s Consecration of the House.

Jon.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
GQ geek... you love the piano concerti, you really have to consider listening to his symphonies. To me, they're the symphonic equivalent of rock n roll. Incredibly lush tonality, gorgeous themes...

I'll do that, I've got an old DG mono recording of No. 1 at home. I'm not sure why I haven't listened to it yet. Actually, I probably did but wasn't paying attention. I just love Rach 3 though, it's the one thing I can listen to over and over and over again. I also have the video of the '78 Horowitz concert. Often times when I get back from the gym I just vegg out watching it.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I'll do that, I've got an old DG mono recording of No. 1 at home. I'm not sure why I haven't listened to it yet. Actually, I probably did but wasn't paying attention. I just love Rach 3 though, it's the one thing I can listen to over and over and over again. I also have the video of the '78 Horowitz concert. Often times when I get back from the gym I just vegg out watching it.

The problem I've found with Horowitz (and even earlier Russian violinists) is that while they deliver astonishing instrumental performances, they might neglect other artistic nuances for the sake of making it work in a pianistic (or violinistic) sense. Horowitz is incredible to watch and his recording is amazing... undoubtedly one of the greatest recorded musicians ever. For my money however, I prefer Rach 3 as played by Martha Argerich.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
The problem I've found with Horowitz (and even earlier Russian violinists) is that while they deliver astonishing instrumental performances, they might neglect other artistic nuances for the sake of making it work in a pianistic (or violinistic) sense. Horowitz is incredible to watch and his recording is amazing... undoubtedly one of the greatest recorded musicians ever. For my money however, I prefer Rach 3 as played by Martha Argerich.

I would take the opposite view if you like Argerich over Horowitz, I find her Rach 3 totally overrated.

koji

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we're on the subject of Rach 3's, some personal favorites:

Berman/Bernstein 1977 (live)
Bolet/Webb 6/69 (live)
Cherkassky/Schwartz 12/57
Gilels/Cluytens 6/55
Horowitz/Barbirolli 5/41 (live)
Horowitz/Rodzinski 11/43 (live)
Janis/Munch 12/57
Janis/Dorati 9/61
Kapell/MacMillan 1/48 (live)
Kapell/unknown 9/53 (live)
Katsaris/Defossez 1972
Orozco/de Waart 1/73
Rachmaninoff/Ormandy 1939

koji

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics