1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Classic Styling

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by feathers73, Jun 10, 2010.

1. feathers73

feathers73 Member

If I was walking onto Oxford University in say the late 50's or early 60's what would I be wearing? And which of these classic clothing styles would still be fashionable?

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Look at every picture of member voxsartoria.

3. Frodo

Frodo Senior member

If I was walking onto Oxford University in say the late 50's or early 60's what would I be wearing? And which of these classic clothing styles would still be fashionable?

Lots of tweeds and heavy classic English cloths in those drafty ancient buildings. Odd waistcoats, watch chains. Google J.R.R. Tolkien and there you are.

Most are still completely stylish and appropriate, but cloths are thinner thanks to central heating. The three piece tweed suit is a little costumey now, more's the mournful pity.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Lots of tweeds and heavy classic English cloths in those drafty ancient buildings. Odd waistcoats, watch chains. Google J.R.R. Tolkien and there you are.

I think somebody is living in a fantasy world...

5. Frodo

Frodo Senior member

I think somebody is living in a fantasy world...

Slightly tongue in cheek. But fantasy?

6. BareSolid

BareSolid Senior member

"Nash v Inman (1908)

Here a tailor sued a minor to whom he had supplied clothes, including 11 fancy waistcoats. It was decided that, as the minor was an undergraduate at Cambridge University at the time, the clothes were suitable according to the minor's station in life. Unfortunately for the tailor, however, it was further decided that they were not necessary, as he already had sufficient clothing. Minors are only under a legal obligation to pay for things necessary for their maintenance although even then they will only be required to pay a reasonable price for any necessaries purchased - so no contact was enforceable."

Don't know about the 1950s but 11 'fancy' waistcoats were necessaries at Cambridge in 1908.

7. vincerich

vincerich Senior member

"Nash v Inman (1908)

Here a tailor sued a minor to whom he had supplied clothes, including 11 fancy waistcoats. It was decided that, as the minor was an undergraduate at Cambridge University at the time, the clothes were suitable according to the minor's station in life. Unfortunately for the tailor, however, it was further decided that they were not necessary, as he already had sufficient clothing. Minors are only under a legal obligation to pay for things necessary for their maintenance although even then they will only be required to pay a reasonable price for any necessaries purchased - so no contact was enforceable."

Don't know about the 1950s but 11 'fancy' waistcoats were necessaries at Cambridge in 1908.

Not according to Nash v Inman. Your quote contradicts your argument, lol. That case sounds completely counter-intuitive.

8. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

World War I did away with the majority of the stuffiness, and then World War II completely put it to rest.

There are plenty of photos in the archives of Oxford or Cambridge in the 50s and 60s. Some are just wearing tweed jackets and perhaps a tie. Most are just wearing cords a shirt and a jumper. Sub-fusc still dominates today as it did back then, but most of the people today can't wait to throw it off and put on jeans and a shirt / t-shirt.

9. George

George Senior member

World War I did away with the majority of the stuffiness, and then World War II completely put it to rest. There are plenty of photos in the archives of Oxford or Cambridge in the 50s and 60s. Some are just wearing tweed jackets and perhaps a tie. Most are just wearing cords a shirt and a jumper. Sub-fusc still dominates today as it did back then, but most of the people today can't wait to throw it off and put on jeans and a shirt / t-shirt.
    It isn't necessary to wear gowns for members in statu pupiillari for lectures, examinations etc at Cambridge and hasn't been since the early 70's