• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Style magazine

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick search brought no results for this so...

Has anyone seen the premiere issue of Classic Style? I picked it up at Barnes & Noble today. I have only briefly flipped through it, but I like the focus.

The feature of this first issue is the hat. There is also a lenghtly-looking article about Cary Grant. There's even a bit for women in it (Cate Blanchett's make-up for The Aviator, in which she played Katharine Hepburn).

Nice ads too, in that the stuff advertised looks perfectly affordable rather than just another luxury-goods ad.

Thoughts, anyone?

b

Windsurf

Reaction score
About time we had a decent Men's fashion and style magazine rather than those mags that cover everything but men" s fashion and just throw in the odd article once in a while.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
it reminds me of "Atomic" magazine, which may not be in print anymore.

It appears to cater to a very small niche audience, which makes it tough for a publication to stay alive for more than a few issues.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I need to pick this up sometime. I wonder what would happen if Style Forum had its own magazine?
laugh.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt Deckard
I don't know... we're a bit broader than atomic.

I agree with that, but I'd be concerned that the uninitiated punter think "Big Bad Voodoo Daddy" when they see a publication that seems to be focused on a "Golden Era" aesthetic (esp with the large focus on hats in the first issue)

but good luck with it, it's definitely an interesting magazine and the era that you guys seem influenced by isn't referred to as the "golden era' for nothing.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got an issue of this at the newsstand today. Really neat magazine, very tasteful, I like it.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just rec'd mine from the pile of mail at home-- really like the magazine a lot. the article on jack taylor was very interesting, but i didn't like the final product that much on the author-- nor did i like the fact that jack taylor had agreed to produce pleated trousers, yet didn't do so (i can make you a second pair with pleats!) of course, that would cost the customer a good deal more money to do so.

I wonder if there is a prospective list of magazine articles? If so, i'm ready to buy a two year subscription. maybe they will take into account some of the topics i suggested for mens vogue?
+ Lobb shoes, NYC and Paris stores
+ Brioni-- how is the current make? number of hours, workmanship on a typical brioni suit for neiman marcus and other dept stores these days?
+ visit to oxxford, of course!
+ wallets and other small leathergoods
+ the pocketsquare

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Was browsing at Borders today and saw this... quite a nice change of pace from the other choices out there... I hope it succeeds.

Nice review of Manton's book as well. Perhaps they should do a story about the proliferation of men's style websites.

I also like the option to send in photos and hope that some of our better dressed members will do so.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds very interesting...
Does anyone know how succesful the magazine has been so far? I am quite afraid that their focus is too narrow for the magazine to survive - not that I wouldn't like the focus but I imagine that not many people do...
Those of you who own the premier issue: most of you said that it was worth the money, does anyone think not so? Also, how many pages does it have? And when will the next issue be released?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Regardless of the positive reviews this magazine has gotten from other fora, I feel that the content and feeling of the magazine is marketed towards not a man interested in "classic style"; rather, it is marketed to someone who wishes to be Classic in the sense of RCA records and a droptop Cadillac--the Film Noir Buff, if you will.

Some of the things are a bit contrived, especially the women in the '50s costume.

obiwan

Reaction score
I picked it up 2 weeks ago at Barnes and Noble, taking a chance on them being around by getting a 2 year subscription.

We'll see...

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wish them the best of luck, but I hope they expand the scope of the articles. The Jack Taylor article was interesting, but I wanted more on him and on suitmaking, and less about the author. It's like how the Men's Vogue article on Poole wasn't really about Poole.

I do worry a bit that average guys will write the mag off as being for vintage afficionados. I also got the vibe that the magazine was willing things into being -- "hats are back" more because a small group of guys are into hats than because hats of the fedora/trilby type are really back. But I guess that's no greater sin than most mags' suggestion that something is back just because it appears on a runway.

I was impressed to see Glenn O'Brien's byline, and appreciated all the effort that had gone into the mag. It was clear the product was really a labor of love, rather than just an ad wrapper.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it.

I agree with the editor that the world does need another style magazine.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be nice if I got the copy to start my subscription. Anyone else experience a long wait for the first copy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads