• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic overcoat - brands and styles

NoSound

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been looking online and in threads in the forum for a classic winter overcoat for quite some time. I had average success, have an idea of what I'm looking for, but feel it's time I reach out for some advice.

What I need it for
I'm 29 and work in private equity in London (conservative industry, I wear suits daily). I'm looking for an overcoat for the winter (I freeze fast and would also like to be able to wear it e.g. in Germany and France where it is colder in winter than in London). If I can wear it on "smart casual" occasions it'd be a bonus.
Also it might be good to mention that I am just building my wardrobe and while I'm willing to spend money for quality I don't like to splash it. I intend to wear the coat for many years and most likely will not own many coats that would suit the same purpose.

Colour
90% of the time I buy dark navy, 10% dark grey - maybe an overcoat could be my first black item (kind of blonde and rather fair skin)?

Style
I was thinking about a single breasted coat, about knee length - I have a quite good shape for suits, coats etc. - I don't know much about coat styles

Brands
Here I need your help. What brands and places should I look out for? A "value for money" ranking would help me a lot. So far I've briefly looked at:
  • Loro Piana: Amazing fabric but the choice was extremely limited in their store. I was also extremely disappointed about the "shapes of the coats" (felt like baggy sacks)
  • Ralph Lauren purple label: I went to their London store in November - again very limited choice
  • Crombie: Offering looked pretty good online - how does the quality compare to the others?
  • New and Lingwood: Just read that it's an option
  • +++?
Bonus question
I have a long navy trench coat from Burberry. Is it too much to wear it with a Burberry scarf (getting one as present)?

Thanks a lot for your help and Merry Christmas!!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Especially if you can get one at a good price, a Crombie seems to fulfill your wishes, and quality is top notch. Would work for French winter too. I think Navy would look better than black with blonde hairs, and would be more versatile.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another option is a Loden Coat.
They are warm and water repellant.
When I was in London in winter I saw
many of these in the more elegant
precincts of the West End. It also
works for "smart casual".Here's
an example from Cordings:

https://www.cordings.co.uk/navy-hubertus-loden-coat.html

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I have two Loden coats. My favorite style with Chesterfield/Crombie style coat. Best ones are Austrian made. The traditional woolen Loden cloth has a certain water repellency, an undeniable plus-point for a wool overcoat.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marks and Spencer? Not glamorous in some ways but always good quality and value for money.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burberry has several options that meet your requirements. I would not recommend a black overcoat. Stick to navy or camel. Crombie is unbeatable in terms of quality, far better than anything from Ralph Lauren. Classic British overcoat and cloth. New and Lingwood has several options, but I've not seen them in person. N&L also just started their winter sale, online at least.

And, in my opinion, it would be perfectly fine to wear a Burberry scarf with your trench coat.

NoSound

Reaction score
Thanks all. I ended up getting a dark blue cashmere coat at Crombie. Since it's close I went to Loro Piana, Ralph Lauren and Drake's again and Crombie's offering and service beat them all for me.

Lawman231

Reaction score
Especially if you can get one at a good price, a Crombie seems to fulfill your wishes, and quality is top notch. Would work for French winter too. I think Navy would look better than black with blonde hairs, and would be more versatile.
So Crombie is good quality?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads