• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Norfolk or 70's Kitsch ?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Confession time...

i've been on the look out for a reasonably priced vintage Norfolk Jacket for a while, and was sitting down with a beer last night when I came across one in my size about to finish on ebay, and quickly put in a lowish bid:

64f1_1.JPG

This morning I looked and found I'd won, but looking at it 'the morning after' I'm not convinced it looks rather 70's rather than classic...

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Confession time...

i've been on the look out for a reasonably priced vintage Norfolk Jacket for a while, and was sitting down with a beer last night when I came across one in my size about to finish on ebay, and quickly put in a lowish bid:

64f1_1.JPG

This morning I looked and found I'd won, but looking at it 'the morning after' I'm not convinced it looks rather 70's rather than classic...

Hell, I'd wear that with dark brown cords and my new chukkas from BB. If you are doubting yourself, and it is 42Rish, pm me and I could take it off your hands.

What search terms did you use anyway?

Wait, is the contrasting color green? That might be an issue.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
Hell, I'd wear that with dark brown cords and my new chukkas from BB. If you are doubting yourself, and it is 42Rish, pm me and I could take it off your hands.

It is pretty near classic and if you wear it in situations that would classically call for a Norfolk jacket, it will be perfect. Apart from the shoulders, non-classic details are the buckle rather than buttons on the belt and what seems to be missing or hidden hip pockets (a classic Norfolk would have roomy hip pockets - probably bellows). Also, the high button stance is right, but it uses three rather than four buttons.

I don't know what your life is like. In my life, it would look pretty 70s.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Somebody needs to break out the pith helmet picture.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think its sharp. I'd wear it.

Looks authentic to me but I am no expert. It has nice lines and looks in great condition.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very Kojak:

But I'm a shaved-headed guy who lives in NYC, so that's not a bad thing.

This Dunn & Co. Norfolk-style coat has more of the classic details (though not all of them)

Listing:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Do Norfolk jackets typically have Western yokes and lapels/collars like that?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Do Norfolk jackets typically have Western yokes and lapels/collars like that?

It's the lapels that I think make it rather 70's.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Very Kojak:

But I'm a shaved-headed guy who lives in NYC, so that's not a bad thing.

This Dunn & Co. Norfolk-style coat has more of the classic details (though not all of them)

Listing:

Only a half-norfolk (no full belt) and the usual small sizing, and I've already got a Harris Tweed half-Norfolk. Nice though.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
70's.

Honestly, where would you wear that where you wouldn't be out of place?

If you hunt or belong to a hunting club, pay cordial visits to English royalty or are really, really eccentric (ne rich), then you can get away with it, otherwise, I would advise against it.

I was thinking walking across the fields to the local country pubs.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly

Search terms "44r Norfolk Jacket". It's brown cord from what I can tell, but I'll give it a try with Lovat moleskins and either a Tattersal or OCBD.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads