Classic Menswear Lounge

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TweedyProf, Oct 4, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Nothing wrong with a jacket that is dedicated to a few shirts and ties only. Its probably not the kind of jacket you are wearing all the time anyways, so having limited choices for pairings is kind of nbd in my book.

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

The hank is too saturated, not too cool. The shirt, though, is too cool. On balance, I still think it works. Maybe not optimal, but that's not a sin in my book.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

[​IMG]

4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm glad you posted it here. It is really useful for these "borderline" cases which, as you can see, we are all disagreeing about (i.e. some like it, some think it ok). None of us think it bad. Seeing is learning.

Thanks. I haven't posted there in a while and it generated lounge-like discussion!

I posted it because it was something different: I chose brown trousers rather than mid-grey. In retrospect, I'll pair the brown trousers with the guncheck above and keep the mid-gray with the navy blazer. The shirt is small checked, not striped (my pics are crap). I think with mid-gray, mid-brown shoes, the shirt would be fine (Elio might disagree).

5. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Tweedy, I thought that shirt to be too business like for the rest of the fit not because of the colour combination, but because of pattern and texture. Both too fine for that particular SC. YMMV

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015

6. TweedyProf

7. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

[​IMG]

8. TweedyProf

I wasn't clear above. I wouldn't mind that same checked shirt in a navy blazer mid grey odd trouser fit with the checked tie. That is, in a more citified combo. You might still object, perhaps.

It does alas have the sheen of royal Oxford shirting. Was a mistake in my last batch of shirts.

9. TweedyProf

Thought I would start a new thing in this thread, for discussion.

Kicking up (never down) from the WAYWRN thread, fits that don't make 20 thumbs but really, why not?

Invites to anyone who wants to kick up to post, and comment.

Our man Betelgeuse (Mexico, not FL) at 18 thumbs: @Betelgeuse

[​IMG]

Nice neutral colors here, which are probably just right for cold climates in typically warm places. The solid tie is well chosen given the two additional patterns (no need to add a third). I think we too often opt for three when the third adds little.

If you're going to do small scale repeating patterns, I think this is done right. Objections to the window-pane in blue here?

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

There's nothing objectionable about it, but it doesn't hit the notes that seem to draw thumbs like flies. It's not great execution of a classic look. It's not high-degree-of-difficulty. The check is noticeable, but not WOW notable. The pose leaves him all wrinkled up. The lighting is washed out.

Photographed better with a better pose, it would have gotten 20 thumbs.

11. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

I like this idea, TweedyProf. May I suggest an informal week-long waiting period so that we don't reproduce the 20-thumb thread's fits too often?

I also like Betel's fit a lot here. If I could change one thing about that fit, it would be to replace the patterned square with something that had a print, rather than pattern, motif, so that the windowpane in the jacket was the only geometric pattern in the fit. It's likely an absurd personal preference of mine that squares not have geometric patterns, and this is still a great fit.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015

12. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

I can immediately see it wouldn't draw as many thumbs on the forum for the reasons you note, but it looks better to me than most fits that get 20+. This hits all of my pleasure sensors.

13. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

End of discussion, IMHO.

But really, the difference between 18 and 20 thumbs in hardly enough to make a difference, is it?

14. TweedyProf

I think you thumbed it SB!

It would be good to choose fits that are not part of the thumbing frenzy. Actually what I like about the fit aside from the neutral color scheme is the neat square! I avoid them but if you have them this isn't a bad way to use them, without a lot of noise that WAYWRN Is starting to favor (four pattern frenzy). So like P R this hit a lot of nice notes for me, presentation aside.

Helden point taken about time. But it's been two days for this fit. And I figured it wasn't going to get more thumbs.

15. TweedyProf

People are way too thumb focused. It's not about the actual #thumbs.

This kicking up is just a device to bring illustrative fits in that don't get put in the 20thumb repository.. But of course given statistical noise you are right.

Can we talk about the fit? Did you thumb it? Like it or not?