Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Classic Menswear Lounge

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TweedyProf, Oct 4, 2014.

1. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good buy! Both the jacket and the square.

2. Anden

Anden Senior member

I almost always need to shorten the arms and appreciate when they are non working or as most Caruso jackets I have, unfinished. I do have two green jackets already but they are plaid and tweedy. One moss green and one dark green. This will make my green SC warderobe (almost) complete. I would love a green Donegal patch pocket
    Jacket or suit.

3. Anden

Anden Senior member

I can see a green Donegal complementing your skin and hair tones.

4. Anden

Anden Senior member

Cheers! The ps was bought trough ET and when it arrived I questioned the usefulness but it has proved really versatile.

5. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Donegal green jackets/suits are the greatest mini-trend to hit men's clothing this year. Anden, love the SC and the square. I'm in the same camp as you--two green SCs and I still want more. Almost bought the Eidos at NMWA (sidebar: all three Eidos SCs are still available in my incredibly common size of 48. Wonder how long that will last?)

I'm flirting with some rule breaking today and I'd like to get your thoughts. Tie is ancient madder. Shirt has a cutaway collar.

Per our discussion of neat ties and SCs, what do you think? Additionally, is pairing a shirt collar this formal with a flannel SC in country colors too much idiom mixing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

7. Anden

Anden Senior member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

8. heldentenor

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

9. Anden

Anden Senior member

Yes. Wrong thread.

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Agreed. Buy one for me?

11. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

The shirt is acceptable but perhaps not ideal - collar seems a little stiff here. OTOH its lines match up with the jacket's pattern, which is cool.

The tie should work with the jacket - the colours are almost a perfect reverse-match - but I think there's a bit too much pattern clash.

Sometimes we get ideas in our head - dammit, A should work with B, it must work with B, it will work with B - but in the end, for some unknown reason, A just doesn't work with B.

YMMV of course.

12. Anden

Anden Senior member

Tie works for me. Not sure about the PS. Not a fan of the shirt.

13. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is one of those cases where "the jacket is the thing" so I think competing with it is a case where the competitors are going to lose.

I don't think the tie is complementing pattern wise, and I can't tell about the color. It seems like a more forest (less yellow green) with an olive green in the jacket (more yellow green). I think mixing colors in the same hue can be tricky and not sure about that.

Helden, try a solid where the focus is on color complementation (e.g. dark brown or very deep rust; a more saturated olive?). Tattersall for shirting instead?

Why not try a larger patterned neat with more textured jackets rather than strongly patterned jackets (e.g. a herringbone).

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Helden, the only issue I have with that combo is that I think the square is pretty cool and everything else pretty warm. Outside of that I like it.

15. heldentenor

Thanks for the discussion, gentlemen.

In retrospect, I think the fit is borderline overwhelming even though there isn't an obvious pattern clash. This may be a jacket that has a "dedicated" fit combination in my wardrobe and always gets worn with light blue shirt, brown or rust grenadine, or (my favorite) an oxford grey wool solid. I don't think burgundy would be ideal here and don't own any plum. This shirt feels too formal and its micro-check doesn't bring much to the table with everything else that's going on.

Tweedy, tattersall is intriguing, but it would have to be exactly right in terms of scale and color. Clags has a fit wearing a jacket similar in pattern to this with a medium rust check shirt with a spread collar that I really liked, but my two checked shirts are too big/saturated for this.

Also, Tweedy, I loved your fit today in WAYWRN. That shade of trouser works well in low light/ on overcast days with that jacket, and you and Mr. Six are making a strong case for the shepherd's check tie. Is the shirt microchecked or pencil striped?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015