Classic Menswear Lounge

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TweedyProf, Oct 4, 2014.

1. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Agree 100% with respect to my fit (Stitchy was on the fence about it for the same reason). I think, for the reasons you mentioned, that yours works, though. Thanks for posting. Side note: can I ask where you found the square? I think my next colorway will be something in the ochre/mustard/lighter-than-rust world.

2. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

It's been a while since I got that square, probably from A Suitable Wardrobe or Exquisite Trimmings. It's a Drakes wool/silk blend. Since they seem to re-issue patterns very few years we might see it again this fall/winter. I can't think of anything in a similar brown that I've seen recently. If I do I'll let you know.

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Six is baws. Time after time.

---

Pretty much agree with what has been said before. Unless there is something unusual about a fit, or at least unusual for that poster, it's usually not going to garner a lot of conversation, as there is simply not much to say other than, looks good/great.

As a matter fact, more discussion is usually generated from nits, or flat out bad fists from people that have shown to be up for honest feedback.

---

Six, I certainly appreciated your feedback. :)

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I think Stitchy and I have had the conversation before in which I made it clear that I only really usually comment on his fits (or anyone else's who is operating at his level) with the basic assumption that, whatever minor concerns I have or marginal improvements I might suggest, the fit would be considered pretty damn excellent for anyone else.

5. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

[​IMG]
    Sorry if it seemed like I was implying poor manners or similar with my original post. Not my intent at all. I figured you and Stitches were cool.

6. in stitches

Nothing poor at all. Just honest feedback.

7. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Well, well, well... we're building a new house this year, which is going to absorb practically everything we've got (and much more besides). It's meant sitting down with my wife and having to agree to reduce any clothes purchases (well, personal consumption in general) to a minimum. Basically, I've had 2 years of relative overspending, which I could get away with for various reasons. Now, it's back to normal. Essentially, this means buying nothing at all on impulse. It means basically living entirely with what I've got - which is plenty - and only being able to commission anything if I save the money from elsewhere (say, not having lunch or the occasional beer any more). That's fine, but it does mean I'm going to be around here even less often, largely because it just encourages me to buy things, and I don't need the temptation.

8. heldentenor

Congratulations on the new house, FM. I wish I could say that hanging around StyleForum doesn't lead me to purchase more than I need or otherwise would, but, well, that just isn't true. I'm trying really hard to limit myself to two big purchases in 2015 and to go easy on shirts, ties, trousers, and shoes unless things wear out.

Maybe the answer is that I need to buy a house.

9. in stitches

SF has never lead me to financial imprudence.

Waitwat.

10. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, I hope that you'll stay part of the conversation FM, but I understand temptation. I think if you stay out of the NMWA thread, a lot of temptation is removed.

Apropos the guncheck/tie discussion, block stripes with guncheck. The colors are out of whack, stupid phone. Jacket is sort of a slate blue with dark rust overcheck (which is much more subtle in real life). Some might object to the hank as unnecessary. I can see that, but I like it (cf. Stitch's epistle above).

[​IMG]

11. heldentenor

After doing some mental color correction, I like that fit, Tweedy. I would probably omit the square but I don't think it's wrong to wear it.

Do me a favor if/when you get the chance (no hurry): I'd love to see that jacket with the brown herringbone tie you recently picked up. I have a feeling it will work quite well.

12. TweedyProf

@heldentenor

Good mental gymnastics! Yeah, the colors are completely off. There are actually three clearly distinct blues in that fit, two in the tie and the jacket is a more slate/mid blue. The rust overcheck is much more subtle. Doesn't actually look like the pic IRL.

The only thing the fit is useful for, and why I posted it here, is to think of the block stripe with guncheck combo folks were advocating. Just got the jacket back from the tailor and threw it on with the block stripe I was wearing that day for data in this thread. The colors are off too much, however, that the pic might not be useful.

I agree about the copper herringbone tie. Was thinking the same thing, and will post when I pair the two.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

13. Anden

Anden Senior member

I agree. Have been lusting for this jacket for years now: http://www.manolo.se/artiklar/artikel/20091008/detaljniva-boglioli-k-jacket
    Managed to find one in my size online at a good price and it arrived yesterday. Just need to shorten the sleeves slightly.
    K Jacket, 100 % cashmere. Likely to be one of my favourite pieces.

The PS is new too. http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/accessories/products/cabaret-tangerine-pocket-square

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

14. TweedyProf

Excellent Anders! Nice casual fit. Boglioli has always seemed to me to have much too long arms! I wish they would just leave the sleeves unfinished, especially at their price point.

Green is such an outstanding color.

15. in stitches

It really is. I long for a green SC.