• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Erik, I'll take one of the green jackets you wore yesterday in 38/48 whenever you choose to sell one to me. 
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

http://shop.e-f-v.com

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Building on the neat/SC theme from Helden and on team green, another beautiful jacket from Vox

I would be happy with two more winter jackets, the brown herringbone of the previous fit from him and this green donegal. I'd be set.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good eye, Tweedy--I love that green donegal. I'm going to split the difference and get a brown donegal in that configuration sometime in 2015.

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Building on the neat/SC theme from Helden and on team green, another beautiful jacket from Vox

I would be happy with two more winter jackets, the brown herringbone of the previous fit from him and this green donegal. I'd be set.

Looking in this direction myself Tweeds

Thing is though 'I'd be set' in my experience is just dream. Ever onwards :satisfied:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the formula for computing the ideal wardrobe size is n + 1, where n = the current wardrobe size.

Cheers,

Ac

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Saw that on Erik's tumblr. He is definitely Pitti worthy...the good Pitti. I can't wait for my green....

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over in the GNAT there was some discussion as to why striped shirts are liked better by some on this forum when the (blue) stripes are of equal width as the (white) ground, as opposed to shirts where the stripes are thinner:

is better than:

Apparently this has already been discussed (many times probably....) in the good taste thread, where apparently the verdict was that the latter was not in such 'good taste' as the former. The question remains, why is this so? Or perhaps, why is it not so?
Personally, I associate shirts with thin stripes like in the pic above with 'cheap', though I realise there are plenty of high end shirts with fabrics like that too.
In visual design, to ensure the impression of a single unified whole there must be balance between figure and ground. Is that all that can be said here as well, it's purely aesthetics? Or is there perhaps a historical/traditional reason as well?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Manton's dislike for them probably accounts for some of the groupthink. I'm not sure what the aesthetic basis is, though. People like pinstripe/chalkstripe suits with even greater ratios between ground and stripe.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton's dislike for them probably accounts for some of the groupthink. I'm not sure what the aesthetic basis is, though. People like pinstripe/chalkstripe suits with even greater ratios between ground and stripe.

I wasn't aware of his dislike for them. Do you know why he doesn't like them? I'm sure he'll have a reason.
As to the pinstripe suits, I suspect that it works when the ground is darker than the stripe. With shirts the same:

This doesn't look unbalanced at all to me, as opposed to #2 in my previous post.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the contrast between ground color and color of the stripe plays a role with striped shirts, too, and I'm not sure if it's related to what Elio pointed out or a different proposition. To take a popular example:

To my eye, the stripe is light enough that both of these shirts are in excellent taste and are functionally equivalent. Only someone with an enormous wardrobe would differentiate between their use, and only someone with a much more precise eye for detail would register them as different in a fit.

Personally, both of the darker navy stripes Elio posted above are less ideal than these two because of the color saturation in the first and the contrast in the second. They still work just fine and I don't consider the first to be categorically in better taste than the second.

Thoughts?

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@heldentenor I agree, contrast plays an important role too. Seems likely that less contrast means a greater difference between stripe and ground is acceptable. That being said, I have a very strong preference for the first example in your post. I'd definitely not consider them to be equivalent....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads