• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rotflmao.gif

mezentius

Reaction score
It is extremely clean in its lines. I have no sense of waist coat options so no view. Others can chime in. I don't like the waist coat but what do I know?

His shirt collar suits him but his neck isn't that high. If he had a longer neck then I'd say too short. The hank is a little matchy with the tie but at least different patterns. I prefer a subtle puff. Min looks like that when it creeps out especially with larger squares. I wonder if it was intentional.

Perhaps, given that it's HRH, matcy matchy is ok?

Matchy matchy and the larger puff seems better with darker colours, since it blends into the background in a nice flannel-y fuzz.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sure, I see how the color (not pattern) matching might fit the occasion. Still, I'd prefer a more subtle puff (today's fit, which uses a similar color melange as the PoW's...please note how I have varied the scale of the stripes, shirt to wall):

burghler

Reaction score
^I'd have gone with a different square. It seems too close in tone to the jacket, almost blending in. I tend to default to white linen but that might not be optimal with this. Is the tie wool? Maybe something like the Rubinacci Victory square (pic from Derek's tumblr)

tumblr_inline_mj9kwf3BWh1qz4rgp.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not a particularly helpful comment, but dww is one of the finniest guys on SF.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My only question for Derek, since he's twitter friends with Vox, is if he can find out whether that tie is unlined, cuz you know, that knot is so refined...I can't get my knots that small but I blame it on the interlining.

On the PoW, my first reaction was matchy matchy, but my second reaction, after Mentius' comment was that there is a way to see the matching as more sober visually. Is a white linen square the most sober?

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My only question for Derek, since he's twitter friends with Vox, is if he can find out whether that tie is unlined, cuz you know, that knot is so refined...I can't get my knots that small but I blame it on the interlining.

It only looks small because Vox's head is so big.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snap

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I'd love to figure out how to wear a red striped shirt. Having a ruddy face, I'm not sure I should. I do have one, but I haven't been able to bring myself to wear it with a tie. I also think it might be too light. I'm also going to guess that they're easier to wear with a suit.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think your shirt is just too light. It resolves to a pink that comes too close to your skin colour. A dark red as in the second example pic might work, but may still be risky. You're probably right that they may be easier to wear with a suit. Never thought about that before though... Why would that be?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I think your shirt is just too light. It resolves to a pink that comes too close to your skin colour. A dark red as in the second example pic might work, but may still be risky. You're probably right that they may be easier to wear with a suit. Never thought about that before though... Why would that be?

Less competing elements perhaps? If you're going to wear an SC, it's often patterned or textured, now add in a separate color of pants, SC, tie, etc, and while it can all look concordant, you still have some competition between what the eye is drawn to. I think suits allow the wearer to take a slightly more bold approach to an item or two since the two halves are congruent.

Totally open to being wrong as I'm more of an underclassman.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two questions:

1. Which of those fits works the best?
2. What should Clags do?

I like your fit Clags, but I understand what you are saying about whether they work with your complexion. Your instincts might be the right one, but we only have a headless shot!

On which ones work the best, I'm pulled more by the second and third one but I'll have to wait for after hours to try and articulate why. I'm not a fan of the blue/red pairing (perhaps too much politician colors?). The second and third strike me as nice because the jackets are strongly patterned or colored. Just a gut reaction.

But I like the problem: how to wear red (also pink?) striped shirts?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I think your shirt is just too light. It resolves to a pink that comes too close to your skin colour.

This. Needs to be a deep brick red. I want a shirt like that.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: the red striped shirt, I think it can be a good look and want to get one, but prefer it with a suit or navy blazer so that it is competing with less. I think Claghorn's shirt is too light in color and thus doesn't really work. A nice burgundy stripe is probably about right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads