Classic Menswear Lounge

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TweedyProf, Oct 4, 2014.

1. kulata

kulata Senior member

I like it but I don't seem to have problems breaking most of the "rules" stated even if I adhere to some of them. What I particularly like about the combo is you can just swap the donegal jacket with a suit jacket (assuming the charcoal pants is an orphan) and you'll get a nice suit fit.

Just found these on tumblr
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  2. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  3. kulata

kulata Senior member

My bad. I overlooked the comma. So pretty much saying the same thing. Ok

4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

That is fractionally too short for the model, both in overall and sleeve length. I can live with the jacket/tie match but not the shirt. Change the shirt for a light blue OCBD and it's stellar.

5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Seems like donegal jackets and suits (including three-piece) are really the flavour of the month.

As Australia will slowly be moving into its autumn/winter season now, this might not be a bad idea for a bespoke project...

6. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Do it! If you want some inspiration, check out the David Reeves thread.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks! And let us not forget TTO, Anden, and Spoo.

8. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Doesn't work for me at all. Partly it is the broken rules--it's incoherent. Partly it's that neither the charcoal nor the beige work with that shade of brown. The jacket does look great though, if I ignore the rest.

9. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Interesting observation, Mr. Six.
    Since I consider your colour combinations always very much on point and in good taste, I'm curious to hear what you would have chosen, given this jacket?

10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Well, since we're on the subject of loud jackets, here's WIWT. Did I get away with it? Comments of all types welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I really don't like the shirt and tie there. I've noticed that you often wear light jackets with flapped pockets. Ever thought about buying some darker fabrics, perhaps non grey based, and with patch pockets?

A light grey jacket with grey trousers can work, but it's a much harder look to pull off. I believe it works best if you wear it in a sort of monochromatic way. A white OCBD and a burgundy or black knit would've probably been better here. Also, that shirt has zero collar roll, so it's not really suitable for wearing with a tie.

That matchy-matchy lapel flower here is awful here. 'Silly' things like that work best with summer fits using brighter colours, and when they don't match your tie exactly.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  12. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Thank you. That's very kind.

I actually think this is a hard jacket to coordinate. It's a very warm brown. Here are two approaches:

1. It seems like pearl grey flannel would work (when doesn't it?). I think that grey trousers need to be visibly lighter in this case. Blue Oxford shirt. If you want to keep the cardigan, then a cool and deep blue or green. Tie options: with the blue cardi, green challis or cashmere tie, solid or striped. NMWA has a couple that would work. With either cardi, a mid-grey cashmere solid or stripe would be good. For a square, rust or a warm green or maybe burgundy in wool or wool-silk blend.

2. I also like the idea of Air Force blue flannel trousers. With those, a cream Oxford shirt would be nice. If you keep the cardigan with this combo, then rusty orange. Finish if it with a mid-grey cashmere tie and one of the squares from option1 (probably not the burgundy with a rusty orange cardi though).

13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Agree on the shirt. I have a white linen BD shirt with a much better collar roll which I probably should have used.

Not sure I'm with you on the boutonnière. Yes, it's a bit twee. Came with the jacket - kind of a Lardini signature - and I haven't bothered taking it off. It matches the orange threads in the jacket and the tie is also a match. I could have taken it off, but then I feel the outfit would need another point of interest. Maybe a PS? But I just quite like the orange matchiness here - not SF-approved, but appeals to me in some indefinable way.

Black knit is a good idea. In which case the boutonnière would definitely have to go.

Thanks for your feedback.

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

You know that most of your RTW jackets don't really fit that well, right? I think I saw you spent $1000 in total on a fused suit+alterations. Wouldn't it be better to just save up the money, get half as many suits or jackets, and get measured for BNT by incontro? I believe they start at around $2000, and you'd get a suit that's fully canvassed and fits you perfectly.

If I were you, I'd stop buying RTW altogether and just get less quantity and more quality. Yes, it would take you longer to build up a nice wardrobe, but what you end up with would be so much better than what you have now.

Whether you like it or not, the fit of a jacket is paramount for pulling off an outfit. Wearing grey on grey is hard enough as it is, but if you're jacket fit is off it becomes that much more difficult.

15. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Are you referring to the lapel bowing? Or something additional?