• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Menswear in Vancouver, Canada?

Reaction score
Hi SF,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently moved to Vancouver BC from NYC. I've found the classic menswear scene to be...a bit lacking. The weather here is quite perfect for wearing suits year-round. I did find a classic menswear store, Quorom on W Georgia st. The Italian owner informed me that he is slowly shifting to casual apparel as classic menswear is no longer in demand.

So...where do the Vancouverites go for the suits and sport coats? I'm really hoping that Harry Rosen isn't the only choice. (RTW/MTM or Bespoke)

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was there over 20 years ago. A menswear desert. I cannot believed that
it has improved given global trend towards dressing down.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Hi SF,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently moved to Vancouver BC from NYC. I've found the classic menswear scene to be...a bit lacking. The weather here is quite perfect for wearing suits year-round. I did find a classic menswear store, Quorom on W Georgia st. The Italian owner informed me that he is slowly shifting to casual apparel as classic menswear is no longer in demand.

So...where do the Vancouverites go for the suits and sport coats? I'm really hoping that Harry Rosen isn't the only choice. (RTW/MTM or Bespoke)

It is pretty terrible. Shop online if you can. Or shop in other cities when you travel. I did occasionally stumble upon a few random great buys at Saks Off 5th outlets near Vancouver (Zegna and Corneliani main line jackets for under $200, Isaia trousers, Corthay shoes, etc.)

But in general it is not a good place to buy classic menswear.

Last edited:

khughes44

Reaction score
I lived in Vancouver for 35 years and recently escaped. It is indeed a menswear desert. Your only hope is the web. Seattle is no better.

leapyourbar

Reaction score
as a canadian, i can safely say that canada is by far and large the worst dressed country in the world. at least you have seattle near by? lol sorry broski. i feel your pain.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The great cosmopolitan San Francisco, near where I live, is nothing
special. A couple of high-end mens shops, Wilkes, Saks, Nieman's,
Isaia, all feature the same " Italian for the ( unsophisticated) American Market".
And for trad fans there is Cable Car Clothiers where it is always 1958,
with 2030 prices. A city that 40 years ago hosted a J Press along with
a Brooks also had iconic local shops like Bullock and Jones. Following
the trajectory of tailored clothing, all are gone.

Reaction score
The great cosmopolitan San Francisco, near where I live, is nothing
special. A couple of high-end mens shops, Wilkes, Saks, Nieman's,
Isaia, all feature the same " Italian for the ( unsophisticated) American Market".
And for trad fans there is Cable Car Clothiers where it is always 1958,
with 2030 prices. A city that 40 years ago hosted a J Press along with
a Brooks also had iconic local shops like Bullock and Jones. Following
the trajectory of tailored clothing, all are gone.

Oof, I do enjoy the occasional Isaia jacket though. Though I tend to agree, some of their stuff is more geared towards the American market.

Wondering why stores like The Armoury don't open west coast locations.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oof, I do enjoy the occasional Isaia jacket though. Though I tend to agree, some of their stuff is more geared towards the American market.

I have an Isaia suit and two jackets, none of which I could have bought
from the typical selection in SF

Wondering why stores like The Armoury don't open west coast locations.
My guess is compared to NYC, where I am from, the potential size of the tailored
clothing market and the taste level , it would be too risky. Despite the advance of
"slobification" there remains in NYC, among locals and visitors, a much larger
market for tailored clothing than LA, SF, let alone Seattle.

Jaggery

Reaction score
Just learned of a relatively new RTW/MTM business called Atelier Amblers in Vancouver from an acquaintance. I don't have the experiential basis to provide a review, but it seemed worth mentioning in case anyone wants to amble over and check it out.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Just learned of a relatively new RTW/MTM business called Atelier Amblers in Vancouver from an acquaintance. I don't have the experiential basis to provide a review, but it seemed worth mentioning in case anyone wants to amble over and check it out.

Thanks! I'm all for new places in Vancouver that sell fine menswear, but...from the pics of the RTW items, these jackets seem to be cut unfashionably short, and...they are priced about double (or more) what a comparable jacket from Spier & Mackay costs.

So for me...pass.

Reaction score
$1455 for a RTW half canvassed VBC flannel jacket. Details look comparable to SuSu or SM, gonna have to be a hard pass for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads